Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breastfeeding beyond a year

Just wondered how many mummys were breastfeeding beyond a year, and how many feeds do you give them a day? Ophelia is just about to turn 1 and i intend to carry on breastfeeding her, she is currently having a morning feed, 1 or 2 in the day, and then a nighttime one (then often one in the night - which ive just stopped giving her - trying to get her to sleep through!) I'd ideally like to cut it down to just a morning and evening feed - will that provide enough milk for her still
xxxx

Replies

• Options
    hi image i'm still bf maddie (almost 18m). at 12m she was feeding about 5 times in 24hrs, and i weaned her to 1 feed (in the morning) by the time she was 15m.

We've been keeping that morning feed for 3 months now, and occasionally ill feed her in teh day too if she's really uspet or asking ever-so-politely and pulling at my shirt, lol) xx

PS. Maddie LOVES cows milk and will have 2-3 sippy-cups of those in the day too - but if youre just giving her 2 feeds a day, and soemthing like cheese or yoghurt in teh day as well, thats plenty! image
  • Options
    Ruby is 15 months and we have this weeks just cut down from morning and night bf to just the night time bf. she is not taking to cows milk from cup too well at mo but persevering with that! at 12 months she was having 3 feeds from me and i cut the daytime one at about 13 months- well she did really. i just stopped offering it as she wasnt really that bothered about it and would rather be doing something else!
    if she is poorly or like Tilly says, asking for it, i give it her int he day but thats rare. i think ruby may stop completely soon, but at 15 months i'm happy with that.
  • Options
    I'm actually a bit jealous of all you women BF past a year. My little girl just decided she had finished 5 days before her 1st birthday.
    I had difficulty getting her to drink milk from a beaker at first but she has just decided that she will after all. I would try and get her to take a bit of formula/cows milk during the day as well if you cut down to 2 feeds as your supply will drop quite significantly at this stage but if she's having plenty of dairyt products she might be ok.

H xx