Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Lactose Intolerance

Hi,

My lo is 5 weeks old and has reflux. She has been getting gaviscon for a few weeks now and this seems to help but she cries after taking the gaviscon and has a good old wriggle. Since about 3 weeks old she has also been screaming the house down at night and seems to be in immense pain with her tummy. She is generally a windy baby and needs burped after each feed. She is on infacol for this. When I breastfeed her, you can hear her tummy making noises when the milk hits it and also later after feeding you hear/ feel her tummy digesting it. Then, when it comes to her emptying her bowels you hear her wind and also explosive bursts of poo. Realise that this is the signs for colic so decided to try and find out what can be causing her this pain and upset.

Cut out dairy from my diet on wednesday and this helped up until yesterday when she started the same thing but during the day. She is now sleeping ok at night. The hv thinks that it could be an allergy to cows milk which I am passing on through my milk or a lactose intolerance. She doesn't seem to swallow wind when feeding just wondered if anyone else has experience of their child having this. Just feel that something is causing this and annoyed that it seems to be classed as just colic.

Really want to find a cause for it as upsetting to see her in pain.

Replies

• Options
    you have my sympathy.... i could have written that myself! my lo is 10 weeks and i am experiencing exactly the same. finnley has reflux and colic and i'm at my wits end. i too have cut out dairy which helped for 4 days and then the symptoms came back. see my othe posts as i have had some valuable advice from others.

i have been told by my hv and chiropractor that infacol has been proven in research to be ineffective. try colief, it helps break down lactose. its ??10 but worth it if it helps. i've not tried it yet because i want to see if taking my lo to the chiropractor helps first.

i totally understand what you mean about people saying they 'just have colic'. it is a nightmare. i could spend and hour burping finnley and he'd still be screaming. things have got to the point now where i'm debating trying formula to see if it'll make his tummy less sore and help him (and me!) sleep for a little longer.

my chiropractor gave me one tip. lie baby on your lap when she's settled. imagine her belly button is the centre of a clock. massage her belly, quite hard, in a circular motion 3 times round at 12, 3, 6 and 9 'o'clock. go round 3 times. try and do it twice a day. i find this helps finn to poo and it seems to help him settle. i hope i make sense!

all the best of luck and let me know how your getting on. amanda x
  • Options
    Sounds like cud very well be a milk allergy hun - if u r breastfeeding, u'll have to cut out ALL dairy unfortunately, as it goes straight to her. It's hard but chk all ingredients - nowadays, most stuff is allergy-alert labelled and shud state whether milk or dairy free. Both my boys have a milk allergy, although my older one has virtually grown out of it now. Mine were both bottle-fed so had soya milk, still do as well. This site mite give you some useful info hun - http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/nutrition/milk_allergy_diet.html
  • Options
    Hi, sounds like Gracie too! We're back at the docs again this morning to review what the paed said 3 weeks ago as the medicine he gave isn't working as it should, so again I'm wondering if it's something other than reflux. We tried lacto free enfamil milk but was just same, sick lots. I'm hoping weaning will help - she's 17wk today so i'm happy to start her.
    If doc gives me any new stuff/info i'll let you know.
  • Options
    Lacto-free is still a dairy based milk so if ur still having probs u may need to try a soya or hypoallergenic formula. My boys have been on soya milk for ages and have thrived on it. My youngest suffers quite a lot as he also has an oat allergy and an intollerance to wheat/gluten so althou he is 13months, he is only the size of a 9-10 month old. It mite be worth just asking about the soya or hypoallergenic stuff and give them a try x
  • Options
    Well been to the osteopath yesterday and been shown a few techniques for helping her tummy. Seems to help get things moving but she is still in discomfort.

Bought some lactase enzimes and trying that now (like colief but you can place drops on babies tongue before you breast feed). Hoping this does something as Ella is now overfeeding for comfort and this is making her reflux worse. Tried her with a dummy but only worked for 10mins.

Not sure what else to do. Feel like just putting her on formula to see if that does anything as sure its my milk causing all this. Just feel useless and like crying at moment.

Thanks for the advice - cut all dairy now and affecting my ibs but persevering no less. Just wish the hv and docs could be more helpful.

Amanda - how is the osteopath working? You tried colief yet?

Laura

xx
  • Options
    hi laura. i'm sorry your feeling so down about all this. i had a really tough weekend but finn seems a bit better these last couple of days. i'm getting him weighed 2moro, that'll be the big test!

i felt (and still do at times) that its my milk making him so unsettled but everyone assures me that this isn't the case. i hope the drops you have got help ella. let me know what there called as i'd like to try them perhaps. i haven't tried the colief due to the whole having to mix it with milk thing, i really don't want finnley to have formula nor do have the time/energy to express any more than i do already (i have 3 other children).

i think that rather than our babies having a lactose intolerance, its more that their digestive systems are a bit immature and are unable to break down the lactose. just as the gastric reflux is just due to a immature spyncter (?sp!) in the stomach which doesn't close properly causing the acid to bubble back up. i am sure and have been told by many people that our babies will grow out of these problems....its just a matter of time (how frustrating is it when people say that to you!)

i hope you find the oseopathy helpful. my chiropractor told me it could take a few sessions to see any difference and it was after the 2nd treatment that finn seemed to respond.

anyway, try not to beat yourself up over all this. you are doing everything in your power for ella and you can't do any more. take care and let me know how you are getting on. amanda x
  • Options
    Looked into the milk allergy but I have completely cut out dairy and it has gotten worse over the last few days so don't think its that.

Had a hell of a day of crying yesterday so much so that my oh gave her a bottle of SMA Lactose Free Formula last night. She was up screaming until 2am until I finally managed to settle her after a 2nd bottle and a quick feed from me. The hv thinks that I am overfeeding her as she is looking for comfort from me when she is sore. I understand that now as a few times I have refused to feed her (after a long feed or several small feeds) as I know she will just upset her reflux.

The techniques from the osteopath seem to help settle her sometimes but not always.

Really sure that she is lactose intolerant now as she was a little upset this morning then settled. I put her in her rocker chair and she sat quietly and awake (something I haven't seen her do in weeks) and eventually fell asleep after 5 minutes!!!

Really don't want to give up the breast feeding as I love it and the bond but think that I have to for her own health and my sanity. Have breast fed her this morning but am away to make up some more formula for her for later. Trying the lactase enzime but you have to express and then leave for hours and really can't feed her and express so formula it will have to be just now.

Amanda - How you getting on?
  • Options
    my lo (4wks) is exactly the same, but i am pretty sure that he isn't lactose intollerant or allergic as i have a severe allergy to dairy so have never had dairy and he had the same reactions when i exclusively bf.
    i have now swapped his 1 feed of sma gold a day to aptamil easy digest and touch wood it has worked well, he has slept through the night each time (he has 1 formula feed for his last night feed) ! if you are already doing part formula it may b worth a go.
  • Options
    hi,
    i know this is an old post but i just found a link to it through google as you have/had exactly the same problem as me with regards to the colic. just wondered if you sorted it out cos at the moment i feel lijke it will never go away and i too am convinced it's to do with breast milk...just don't want to quit bf, especially if it's not the cause.
    if you get this message let me know how you got on and if you got rid of the colic how you did it.-i'm sick of being told it will pass and feel like no one is taking me seriously.:\?
    thanks
    xxx
  • Options
    hiya - I have the same problem with my little one, she is 6 months old on the 4th august and shes been being sick since she was born but its gradually got worse than she cried non stop for 3 days, i have taken her to the doctors about 4 times with it and they shrugged it off, i took her again on wednesday and she told me it sounds like isabella has acid reflux and ive got gaviscon to put in her milk, she was weighed on thursday and has lost weight at some point, only put 7oz on in 5 weeks so we got to keep an eye on it.
    shes on formula milk and tried changing her milk from cow and gate to sma, didn't work at all.
    i hope everything turns ok for you xx