Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breastfeeding Equipment - what do i need?!

Hey girls,

Was hoping for some advice!

bubs is due beginning of june, and i am planning on exclusively breastfeeding from birth to about 7 months, when unfortunatley i think i will have to go back to work.

I would like, once supply and feeding is established, to be able to express in order to
a) give me a break
b) allow DH to feed and bond and
c) get bubs used to a bottle so that once i go back to work it isnt a huge headache.

Ive been doing my resreach, and it seems like the medela swing is the best pump to get, so that is on my list.
What im more confused about is the bottles. i think id like to go for the Tommee tippee CTN bottles and teats as ive had good reports from friends. How many will i need? And what kidn of nippley bits? And i presume a sterlisier? Should i get an all in one set?

Blooming hell, bottles are such a faff - i really hope breastfeeding goes well for us as bottles seem like so much effort (obviously no judgement at all on those who choose to bottle feed - its an individual choice)

Any hints and tips as to what is good/waste of money would be great.

Also - just to explain - it may seem like it is really early to be doing this, but we live overseas and there is no choice at all, we are visiting the UK at christmas and hoping to buy as much as possible - ill be about 17 weeks.

Romeo xxx

[Modified by: romeo on 17 November 2009 05:45:17 ]

Replies

• Options
    Anyone able to give me some advice? I'd really appreciate it! Sorry about the appaulling spelling in my post too - baby brain!

R x
  • Options
    Hey,

My boys are now 6 weeks old and I have just started mix feeding them. Im not using expressed milk unfortunately (for 2 reasons - they dont take bm well from a bottle and I dont have the time or milk to express as well as feed 2 babies!)

I have the Medela swing and its a fab pump. I would definitely recommend it. I liked the Medela as it was the one I used in the hospital when the boys were on NICU and I was feeding them full EBM by day 3!!

Also, I have 12 bottles as I knew they would need to take a bottle, and I also knew I wouldnt be able to exclusively bf for long enough for them not to need to be on bottles. Thats for 2 babies though. I have the TT CTN bottles and the boys have never had a problem taking a bottle (gave them first one at 3 weeks old and now have a regular daily one from 6 weeks)

So, I would say 6 bottles, or maybe a couple more. I also have the TT steriliser and I would recommend it although I dont have any others so cant comment on them. I bought some simple plastic tubs with screw lids to store mine in the freezer - you dont need the 'official' breastmilk 'storers'.

Breast pads are a must - now that I ff one feed a day it is taking a while for my breasts to reduce my milk and leaky patches are a real embarrassment!!

Think thats it but if I think of anything else ill let you know!

Oh - Infacol and Dentinox have been lifesavers!

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie 6 + 1
  • Options
    We have the TT bottles and baby does like them, would advise to introduce the bottle early to reduce the risk of baby refusing it once BFing is established. Would get a range of teats (vari-flow and slow) just in case the fast flow ones dont suit your bubba. It all depends on how it goes to be honest. I expressed more in weeks 2-4 and havent since its more established and public BFing is easier (LO is now 7 weeks old) you kind of have to get over the hump i suppose.

I do agree with cornetto though it may be better to get things you can get locally and I'd say a manual pump may be better for that reason too as if anything goes wrong with the pump you cant just nip to Boots and get it sorted. I loved my TT one too felt abit like a factory farmed coz with the electric one :lol:

Good Luck with the baby. xxxxx
  • Options
    Breast shells were brilliant for me, put on opposite boob when expressing to catch leaks to save waste (could be up to couple of ounces)
  • Options
    We use the TT CTN bottles but didn't actually have to buy any bottles themselves as they came with the sterilsier (cold water one) and the travel microwave steriliser and the manual breastpump!!! I think between this lot i got about 5-6 bottles with slow flow teats so haven't needed to buy anymore. Love the bottles, lo is 18 weeks and takes to them well now.

However a word of advice...i started ds on bottle at 3 weeks and gave him a bottle every few days for all the reasons you stated BUT at 12 weeks he suddenly decided he didn't like the bottle and refused it for several weeks (would never take it from me and only sometimes from someone else) It took a lot of persuasion to get him back on the bottle!!!
  • Options
    Ladies,

Thank you SO much for your time and advice - it hadnt even occurred to me to get a lot of the bits you suggested!

Really appreciate this - feeling much more prepared!

R x
  • Options
    LOADS of muslins image. I don't express but I go through heaps of these as my baby is a messy feeder.