Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Please sign this girls

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/growth-charts/

This is a petition to ask the government to stop wasting time and introduce the new breastfeeding friendly child growth charts.

The World Health Association have produced growth charts for babies based on breastfed babies, a huge step forward from the current outdated growth charts based on formula fed babies. The government are wasting time as they could have and should have been implemented months ago.

The current centile charts cause dread in breastfeeding mothers as they are based on formula fed babies who grow faster.

This is causing many breastfeeding mothers to feel inadequate and be pushed into giving up breastfeeding or topping up with formula as their babies are classed as "underweight".

The government are all talk when it comes to the "breast is best" campaign, its high time they stop talking and start putting it to practise.

We all know that breastfeeding is recommended up until a baby is 6 months old so why are we charting our children's growth based on formula feeding?

Please sign this petition and give breastfed babies a fighting chance at child health clinics of being seen as normal for their age. Who knows it might even put a stop to the child obesity epidemic.
k/growth-charts/

Replies

• Options
    I've signed it, I was lucky as my health visitor was always really suportive about me breastfeeding, despite the fact that Millie was always way down the centiles. The old charts are actually based on data gathered from American formula fed babies in the 1950's and we all know how high the obesity figures are in this group so it hardly seems like a healthy comparison anyway!
  • Options
    Apparently the breastfeeding charts are somewhere on this WHO page

http://www.who.int/nutrition/media_page/en/

• Options
    hi. i have just signed. i have 5 kids now. and have breastfed all of them. with my little one now he is 8 months and the hv is panicking that he has dropped off his centile to the 2nd. i am not worried as he is very mobile and hasn't crossed 2 or more lines. but she has requested that i take him back in 2 weeks to be re weighed. if i don't she makes me feel like a bad mum. all of my kids have dropped at a certain age as breastfed. but have followed their own line. there def should be a change to the charts as they aren't acvcurate enough for us breast feeding mums babies.xx
  • Options
    Ive signed it. must admit my hv this time has been really good, not that i had a problem with isaacs weight he has always put on more than enough lol. my 3 year old was gaining weight quickly at first but then she slowed down dramatically my hv told me i should be topping her up but i printed the b/f growth cahrts off and took them to clinic and she was spot on!
  • Options
    have signed it.

ive been told however that it will take at least a year to have them here as they buy the red books in bulk and have enough to last over a year (they think) so wont be ordering new ones until they've run out.....

if its not the govt playing silly buggers its the cost cutting nhs doing it.... :evil:

ollie should be classed as failing to thrive, as when he was born he was on the 95th percentile and now hes just under the 25th one - but anyone who looks at him says theres nothing wrong. he's happy, healthy, very active and a surefire contradiction to these bloody formula growth charts.

xxxx
  • Options
    my hv said it is already start next year