Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Human Dummy!!

Hi everyone. My little girl is 17 weeks old and I'm really enjoying breast-feeding her. However, recently I'm starting to feel as if I'm being sucked to death! She used to go a good 3 or 4 hours between feeds and this was fine, but now she seems to need to sleep more during the day and the only way I can get her to sleep for any length of time is if she is left on the breast. That means I have to sit on the sofa with her latched on for up to an hour at at time (in the afternoon we both go to bed for 2 hours and she stays latched on most of this time too). I wouldn't mind doing this as I feel this period lasts for such a short time and who wouldn't want to be cuddled up to their favourite person if they had a chance, but I can feel my nipples starting to get tender again and I def don't want to go down that route again!!!! Has anyone had a similar problem? What did you do? I don't think a dummy is the answer as Ella won't take anything plastic into her mouth!! Thanks ladies

Replies

• Options
    Millie was a bit like this and I used to give her my little finger to suck instead. She soon let me know if she wanted milk instead but if she just wanted to suck she was happy with my finger. As she got bigger I gradually weaned her off it without any problems at all. The big upside is you still get the cuddle but you don't get the sore nipples!
  • Options
    Thanks bedhead. I'll give it a go before the nips drop off!