Forum home› Babies› Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Please Help Me!!

Hello
I am due to go back to work on monday and this week have started tryin to give lo formula as i can't express enough to keep her goin whilst i'm at work. Trouble is she hates it and it take bout an hour to get her to take it I've already tried changin formula as well
Ne advice welcome!!
Thanx
xxx

Replies

• Options
    hi ive worked in a nursery for many years and this has come up quite alot so here are some suggestions which have worked for other mummys i know
    * get someone else to offer the bottle if possible as LO will smell your milk and therefore not want to take the formula
    *is it the bottle she's aposed to or the milk - if its the bottle try offering expressed milk first to get her used to the teat
    * have you tried 1/2 breast milk 1/2 formula in the bottle? you can gradually up the amount of formula and decrease the amount of breast milk until its compleatly formula
    * offer the bottle when she's really hungry - she's much more likely to take it
    * offer the bottle reguarly to get her used to it, but obviously you will still need to breast feed enough to keep your milk supply
    * perserverance, perserveance, perserverance unfortunatly this can be quite a hard one but dont give up and the older they get the harder it is so stick with it
    im sure you've probably tried most of these but hopefully there will be something here to help you
    good luck
    Jo xxx image
  • Options
    Hiya
    Thanx 4 replyin, i've tried most of them but will giv he 1/2 and 1/2 a try also think mite try waitin bit longer between feeds so she's really hungry, i jst worry she's not gettin enough!
    Today she finished a whole bottle tho so i spose thats prgress!!
    xxx
  • Options
    A whole bottle doing well them just remember they will not let themselves go hungry as tough as it is they will eat what they need to so try not to worry and again i no its hard but try to be relaxed about it or LO will pick up on your anxiety - keep us posted

Jo xx :\)
  • Options
    I left my lo with her dad on sat - I was out from 9am till 5pm and she only took about 4 oz of milk from the bottle in that time! as i've starting weaning her, she also had 1/2 a rusk to keep her going! I was surprised that she didn't cry for a feed as soon as I got home! I had to offer it to her though as my breasts were swollen! I had manahed to express once while out but not enough!

As Jo says, babies will not let themselves go hungry!
  • Options
    Well today was my 1st day back at work and between 7am and bout 3pm she toook 4oz! She then took another 4oz from oh when they got home, then i've fed her twice since i've been home and she guzzled it down! bit worried she's not gettin enough tho so am gonna try and get along to clinic at sum point to get her weighed. She seems happy in herself so thats the main thing!
    xxx
  • Options
    if she's happy thats a good sign so try not to worry, getting her weighed will prob put your mind at rest, have u got a breastfeeding clinic near you that you ccan go to for some advice/ reassurance? and remember itys early days 8oz in a day is quite good ive known babies have 1-2 oz for a few weeks during the day keep ur chin up chick image xx
  • Options
    Well i didn't manage to get her wieghed today we weren't ready in time, but she took 2 5oz bottles from my sis yesterday, and 2 6oz bottles from me today, so i'm hopin this means she's gettin used to it.
    Thanks 4 yr help
    xxx
  • Options
    fantastic news sounds like your really getting there keep up the good workimage xxx