Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Poo....how often?

Evan is 4wks 2morrow image My question is twice since he was born he has gone a whole day without a poo....everywhere i read it says bf babies should poo several times a day, he was like this in the first 2/3wks but has cut down to one or two times a day, but has missed a whole day twice...just wondering whats normal - pee wise his nappies are fit to burst at every feed (3hrs) which reassures me slightly....not sure if im panicing over nothing :roll: God damn GOOGLE!!!!!

xxxx

Replies

• Options
    woomummy- dont worry! some bf babies can go 4-5 days with no poo! my first lo used to do that and she was fine. my 4 month baby now goes most days, sometimes 5 times a day, then will miss a day altogether, no pattern to it at all and she only has bf at the mo. i dont think theres and rhyme or reason to it as long as wet nappies, then dont worry at all!
  • Options
    Dont worry! Its normal for a breastfed baby to go up to 10days without a poo! Yep 10 days! Its only a problem if they are straining and trying to go without a result. As long as he is comfy and peeing lots he is fine. If you are worried tried upping your fluids and intake of fibre- especially fruits like apples and grapes.

• Options
    Erin is 6wks tomo and also often goes days without pooing..even thou she looks like she is really trying to push one out..but then like yesterday she goes constantly and i was changing her almost every hour..proper runny sickly sweet yellow stuff but OMG im so pleased to see it! HV has said this is normal so i try not to worry (and i have also stop googling everything!!!)
  • Options
    My lo is the same hes fully bf and sometimes goes up to 5 times a day or sometimes not at all for a day or 2. I think it doesnt really matter how often they go, its more if the poo is hard when it comes out or if they are really straining that its constipation. xx
  • Options
    Isaac would go for 6 or 7 days at a time without doing a poo when he was breastfed, he is 2 now and he more than makes up for it now :lol:
  • Options
    Phew-thats reassuring girls! I was just worried it was to early for him to start skipping days, i know in older babies that are ex bf its the norm...just wasnt sure at 4wks! If he does skip then hel poop constantly and explosive all day the next, so i know he isnt constipated in anyway..just makes me worry he isnt getting enough milk (see new post!) U know google has ALOT to anwser for lmao! xxxxxxxx