Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Big scare last night!

Felt like SUCH a bad mummy last night, I was terrified that I had made my lo really ill... We had a bit of expressed bm in the fridge which had been defrosted from the freezer, so I sorted out a bottle for my oh to give Beth. He thought it looked a bit yellow, but I said it had been stored correctly and so on, so it must be fine. Well... after drinking 3oz of it, she brought a little bit up, and I smelt it and then tasted it- it tasted foul!! We were both panicking and imagining trips to A & E to get her stomach pumped or something. But I did a google search and it seems that frozen/defrosted bm can sometimes smell and taste rancid even though it's not really gone off- something to do with the fats breaking down? Has anyone heard of or expreienced this?

Anyway, she seems absolutely fine this morning, but I will be keeping a close eye just in case. And I will never feed her ebm again without checking it first!!

Replies

• Options
    it should be fine it always seperates funnywether its been frozen or just put in the fridge, and i do sometimes think its off but its always been fine, just what it does i think.
  • Options
    Yeah mine does too - look like cream floating on top of water when left in the fridge. I warm it swirl it around and it's fine. Don't mean to sound patronising, but were the bottles extremely cleaned in HOT soapy water and sterilised before you expressed the milk and did you wash your breast before hand...so sorry if I sound patronising, but some people forget to wash their boobs before expressing!
  • Options
    i dnt wash my boobs b4 expressing,didnt know u had 2 do this?
  • Options
    It is best to wash, rinse and dry thoroughly before expressing because small particles of sweat and bacteria could reach into the milk, grow and muliply in the milk while it's in storage which can cause it to taste rank when thawed out. You don't need to bother when feeding baby straight from the breast as the acid in baby's tummy will kill all bacteria from your breasts straight away - only for expressing milk you need to wash boobies x
  • Options
    i always wondered if that was the case, just had this mad thought boobie bee days (know thats not how u spell it ) in all the mothercare feeding rooms
  • Options
    What???? I have NEVER washed me baps before expressing - bloody hell, what with expressing after every breastfeed as well as giving solids I'd never be out the sink!

Oh, and I don't sterilise his feeding utensils either at 4.5 months - I'll accept the bad mummy award gracefully!xx
  • Options
    karren ur mad! i dont dterilise much as he has two older siblings who are alsways feeding him food he shouldnt have or mais personal favorite when theyre in double buggy if he crys she leans over n puts her thumb in his mouth bless. i just think of it as his immune system getting used to all the bugs early im awful i know but with 3 under 5 n a autistic sister i care for i have no time or energy to worry. he wont take bottles so no worry about teets at least
  • Options
    dnt sterilize bowls spoons etc either,never did with holly.I think u can b 2 clean n they do need 2 build up their immune system so karen dnt worry!!
  • Options
    Hiya i hardly expressed really couldn't be bothered with the hassle, as for washing boobies what a palava lol and i never sterilised much either, it was so pointless coz i sterilised everything then put it in the cupboard so the point of sterilising was stupid - so i think i deserve the bad mummy award thanks lol

My son is a healthy 17 month old that exclusively bf for 14 month and ohhhhhhhhh i so miss feeding my baby! my baby is a little horror boy now tho lol :lol:
  • Options
    oops! i dont do boob washing either, i wash and sterilise pump and bottles but dont bother with bowls n spoons, far too time consuming for me. i fed oliver 11m and evie is now 6m and had no probs. xx
  • Options
    I don't wash mine either, the thought has never crossed my mind!!
  • Options
    intersting...re-cleaning boobs? out of curiosity...where did you find that info? Expressed in hospital and used water that was hot as could bare, and used cold steriliser as directed to. To much hassle wiping boobs!

oops...should i be sterislising sppons? Sry I know I now sound thick, but totally didnt think about that one. Just started weaning and put spoons in dishwasher, as stated in the packet. xxx
  • Options
    You can never make skin sterile so whats the point? Plus you wouldnt do it before feeding would you? As long as milk is stored at the right temp its fine. Milk does go a bit yellow and the taste does change slightly but it doesnt actually affect the milk or your baby.
  • Options
    My baby is so precious to me and oh we would do anything to prevent her feeling ill. There are nasty bugs about and to be sure she never gets a bad tummy we always sterilise her equipment or clean it as best we can where possible. At the end of the day she's still a tiny baby, she has the rest of her life to -build up immunity' what's the point putting her little body under all that stress of being ill when she has so much growing to do?

For the sake of throwing a few bits into a sterilizer and wash/wiping my nips to prevent her expressed milk becoming contaminated, I am going to carry on until she is at least 9 months old. The professionals recommend these things for a reason. My baby trusts me to look after her as best I can and if it means sterilising until she's 9, 10 months...so be it! :\)
  • Options
    i can completely understand where ur coming from hun.We are all different and all choose to do different things.I have never heard it mentioned that you have to sterilise spoons,bowls etc thats why iv never done it.Also the reason th health professionals reccommend steralizing up until 1 yr in this country is because it goes on a world wide thing and in under develped countries where its not as clean etc its safer to do this,however in other countries the age is up to 6 mths not a year,the same thing with weaning its safer to exclusively bf up to 6mths rather than give food in other countries xx
  • Options
    A dishwasher does sterilise things but when I start weaning lo I will prob still put them in steriliser til 6 months, I only have the occasional bottle and breast pump to do now anyway so doesn't get used much!
  • Options
    Sadly, that is the primary reason for infant deaths in under developed countries, because they no nothing of hygiene and even if they do it would be very hard to go to the lengths we go to in this country to stop babies getting illnesses from dirty things. There is nothing more sad to see a baby in pain and there's no way to help :cry: