Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Advice from you breastfeeding ladies, what will i need?

Hi ladies,

I am currently 23+2 and want to breastfeed, whatare the majority of you doing? Are you breastfeeding alone or expressing too?Is it worht it to express or is it a lot of hassle? Have seen a steriliser tommee tippee that has breast pump etc with it too and seems a good buy but wanted some advice from you ladies who are actually doing it!This is my first baby so i am pretty clueless!Would like to breastfeed for 6 months then change to formula to get in a routine before i return to work.Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

xx

Replies

• Options
    Hello,

Really, you won't need much - just some nursing bras and it's handy to have some breastpads just in case - don't get loads though because not everyone leaks. I think I only leaked once or twice in the first few weeks and it never happened again. ( I have been bf for 10 months now.) You might find a v-shaped or other feeding pillow handy to get your baby to a comfy height for feeding.

Expressing is mega hassle compared to just bf I find, so if you don't really need or want to do it I wouldn't bother! I started to express for the odd bottle when my son was 4 weeks old, but only because I knew I had to go back to work when he was 6 months and I wanted him to be ok with expressed milk from a bottle. I have been expressing at work for 4 months now, it means a lot less bottle washing as I can just bf when I am not at work - weekends, holidays etc. It has gone really well and we haven't needed any formula at all.

I started with the Tomee Tippee Manual pump, but have an electric one now as I use it every day at work and my hand would get tired with a manual. image I will hopefully be able to stop expressing at work soon though as my son only has a few feeds a day.

Good luck with your baby and if you have any other questions just ask and I am sure the ladies here will do their best to help!

One other thing you might need at first is patience and a lot of good books or something - they feed loads when they are just new so you will have to sit still quite a bit!
  • Options
    Oh and get some Lansinoh cream - it will help protect your nipples through the first few weeks of lots of feeding! It is about ??10 a tube but lasts a good while.
  • Options
    Nursing bras (get one about 36 weeks preg, and then get measured again once babys born and your milk has come in)

Breast pads (love asda and tescos own brand - ??1.40ish for 40)

Nipple cream (Lanisoh (sp?) is fab)

Thats all you really need in the beginning.

You can also get a breast pump, couple of bottles and milk storage containers/bags for the freezer if you plan to express. If you're going down that road then a sterilizer (or even a cold sterilizer basin and some sterilizer tablets/fluid - far cheaper and wont ever break ;\) I think mothercare sell them for ??10 plus a couple of pounds for the tablets/fluid)
  • Options
    Hi, this question's always asked on here and just thought i'd let you know i do starter hampers in my little ebay shop www.ebayshops.co.uk/boobiebabiesboutique
    Theres a few different options and i can tweek bits and bobs for you but they contain essentials such as a manual pump/breast pads/nipple cream/bottles/freezer bags....the list goes on!! Ive got nursing tops and bras too so it could be worth a nosey for you.
    I was fed up of not being able to find what i needed locally and nursing tops/bras seemed so expensive, so i opened my own shop (alongside looking after my little babba and his constant need for boob haha!)
    ive sold to lots of BE mummies so im not a weirdo! just a nursing mum myself xxx