Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Will I be able to...?

When I was pregnant with my first child I remember my boobs leaking a fair bit before and especially after the birth - I didn't breastfeed as I was a very self concious 17 year old.

When I had my DD two years ago my boobs didn't leak at all before or after. I tried to breastfeed but I'm not sure if she was getting any milk from me as she would only want me as a "comforter" and would end up crying to be feed so I had to turn to bottles.

I'm now 33 weeks pregnant with Number 3 and I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to breastfeed thsi time either. I'm certainly not leaking at the moment. If I squeeze my nipples I get the tiniest amount come out but then it just stops.

Please someone tell me that things will be okay and I will be able to give this little one a great start in life?

Love and hugs
Clare & Blob
33+3

Replies

• Options
    hi Clare
    congrats on pg number 3! i hope you get to bf this time, theres no reason why not. my boobs didnt leak before either of my two, and after the first few weeks, didnt leak during bf either. i only leak when Ruby sleeps through, she is now nearly 6 months. my point is, you dont always leak and can successfully bf. its weird though, some of my friends boobs are like taps!
    anyway good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Naomi
  • Options
    hi, When i was pregnant with my first i remember my boobs filling up very early on and then were leaking in the last few weeks of pregnancy. When she was born i think i only ever really leaked if she had gone past her feed time for some reason-maybe she had slept longer than normal or something.
    When i was pregnant with my second i also got worried because my boobs didn't fill up or get bigger at all!! I went to get fitted for a nursing bra at about 32 weeks as i knew i was being induced at 36 wks and they were still the same size as they were when i fell pregnant! But at 35 weeks i started dilating and had to stay in hospital for a couple of nights, after the first night my boobs suddenly filled up and even leaked very slightly. Then when i got sent home on the thursday morning by that evening they felt empty again and i realised they had filled up in hospital because all i could hear was crying babies and my hormones took over to produce the milk. Our bodies are amazing!! I then went in the following monday to be induced and had her tuesday, even in labour my boobs felt empty but as soon as i fed her after she was born the milk was there and they soon filled up!!
    This time round i leak very slightly every time i feel my boobs fill up and obviously if she slept through the night or something i'd usually wake up to wet bra.
    Breast feeding is very natural and you should produce enough milk for your baby even if it just for the first few weeks but that isn't always the case for some babies-some just don't latch on or are too hungry. Emma (my eldest) went on to formula at 3 months old as she was just hungry all the time but Sophie is still fully breastfed at 4 months old and it seems to be enough for her at the moment.
    So maybe each baby is different and it just depend on how hungry they are and how well they latch on ect.

Good luck, i'm sure you won't have any problems aspecially as you want to bf your baby as much as you do.

xxx
  • Options
    My milk didn't come in til day 3! My breasts didn't changes at all til then-had no leakage during pregnancy, or birth... x
  • Options
    no leakage unless baby suddenly slept through and missed a big feed and even then it wasn't drastic. Give it a good go you wont know unless you try and a good couple of weeks is probably worth a try especially with other kids. Not worth bothering with sterilising bottles in night for a little while. XXX
  • Options
    hey, i thought everyone leaked who breastfeed, even stocked up on those breast pads, but i never leaked when pregnant, very rarely when i first breast feed and now never, ever do (so i have never wore those breast pads and have loads of them untouched if anyone wants them!). i was worried about that, i worried it meant my baby wasn't getting enough, so i spoke to my infant feeding time and they said some women just don't leak and that has nothing to do with it. i exclusively breastfed my baby for 6 months before starting to wean him onto solids and he put on weight normally so everything worked out perfectly, so don't worry about that at all. if you really want to do it i'm sure you'll be able to. hope you are having a healthy pregnancy xxxxx