Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is something I'm eating making my LO windy?

Hello,

My LO is now 17 days old and I am BF on demand. However often in the evenings (and less often during other parts of the day) he suffers with quite bad wind! It sometimes seems to be causing him real pain and he gets very upset. Could it be something I am eating that is making him windy? I find it really hard seeing him in pain and want to try to do anything I can to try to improve it.

Also after I feed him I always try winding him for at least 5 minutes but often nothing comes up, should I try for longer? I just worry as it is not coming up that is what is giving the painful wind the other end!

Looking forward to any advice!
CG xxx

Replies

• Options
    hi sounds like he cld be a little bit colicky, which certain things in ur diet might not be helping....tomatoes, oranges, orange juice, onion, spices etc can sometimes have this sort of effect aon a little'uns tum. u cld try cutting down on some of these things (u don't have to deprive urself completely but i wld suggets if ur gonna eat soemthing like the above to eat right before a feed, that way it won't have time to get into ur milk and shld have worn off by the the following one, and obv not loads of it) u cld also try smething like infacol, but that does need to be given at every feed and can take a couple of weeks to begin to work.

sometimes i wld find that it took up to 20 minutes to wind ds (but then turns out he's cows milk intolerant so cld explain his windy and digestive probems) so i wld say to keep going until he'sbrought at least soem wind up. hth xx
  • Options
    My LO had real bad Colic which is normally evenings. It turned out that he was lactose intolerant which is quite common in LO. The milk/cheese etc I was eating went through my milk to him (cows milk/products). We had a terrible time with him for the first two weeks, then took him to the doctors who prescribed Colief.

He is still a little windy, but in a lot less pain. I have also cut down the amount of milk based products in my diet, but not cut them out completely as that can cause you problems. Apparently their tummy's mature and at around 3-4 months they grow out of this!?*

I hope your little one gets better soon.

HJS
  • Options
    Hi Curly, my LO suffers from quite bad wind too and I rather fear he has colic. We had a terrible time with him screaming for 2 hours straight last night.

I spoke with my HV and as Siany said, I was told to cut out acidic fruit (oranges, apples and grapes are especially bad), onions, spices, green beans, broccoli and brussel sprouts. Basically if it gives US wind it may give them wind. Milk as well doesn't help but milk in your tea/coffee and a small pot of yoghurt a day is fine.

She recommended camomile tea as having a soothing effect on baby's tummy, so perhaps give that a go?

Hope that helps
    Peeptoe and Hugo (4 weeks 3 days)
  • Options
    Hello
    Same advice really although my baby's trigger was eggs and she is still sensitive to them now at 3 yrs - was there anything that really turned you off when you were pg - I couldn't look at an egg without feeling ill and it turned out she had an allergy when she was tested at 9mths!

Baby massage really helped with the wind and colic - your local children's centre may a group you could join