Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How long per feed?

Right this is one thing thats still confuses me! Evan feeds for half hr on the first side, then il wind him pop him on the same side again, but he doesnt really suck, just uses it as a dummy, no drinking. Hes still hungry though so i pop him on the other side which he downs so to speak and then hes satisfied image My question is about foremilk and hindmilk - i want to make sure he gets the hindmilk on the first side so how long do i keep offering it to him in that feed as after a certain time he wont take it anymore til i offer the otheside - worrys me as ive read about the no regular poo thing can mean there getting to much foremilk and not enough hindmilk...hes very windy too :\? Grrr why does it have to be so confusing! xxxx

Replies

• Options
    I would say after 10 mins, Evan will start getting the hindmilk, but I would definately suggest sticking with the same breast for a good 20/30 minutes.

RE windy = I found that certain foods in my diet caused Skye to be windy - so I no longer eat onions, garlic, oranges, and greens and found this has helped quite a bit.
  • Options
    I spoke to my hv about this on wed cause I was worried too. Matthew comes off the first boob so I was taking this as an indication that he was finished. This could be as little as 10 mins (he seems to be a strong/effective sucker!). My hv said that the foremilk can make a baby very windy so Im now trying to get him to stay on one side longer. If he comes off I wind him and put him back on and see how long he will suck for. i would say that if he is just playing then that side is empty. 1/2 an hour is a fare time!

Is Evan gaining weight ok? If he is then Id say you are doing good!

Emma