Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

19 weeks feeding mainly hourly

Hi all. My 19 week old has just gone from our nice 3 hourly pattern of feeding with a stretch from 7pm till midnight, to feeding mostly 2 hourly, and alot of the time I can't squeeze an hour out of him. I know it's not a supply problem as there's plenty and I always make sure he's getting the hind milk. It's been a week and a half now. Does this sound like a very long growth spurt? Or maybe my milk calorie content has gone down??? Or possible he needs some baby rice already? Have no idea myself, and don't want to rush into weaning if that isnt the problem. Any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks all.

xxx :\)

Replies

• Options
    Forgot to say this is day and night. xxx
  • Options
    Have you spoken to hv? I'm afraid I don't know what it could be, but if it was me I think I would look at weaning. Seems like too long for a growth spurt, so it could be that milk is just not enough any more.
  • Options
    Hi hon - fancy seeing you here!

I'd definitely wean as well as Poz said.

Some babies just seem to need that extra something.

Reiss was feeding hourly, hour and a half overnight at 4 months so I weaned him then. Not all babies fit into the new government guidelines unfortunately and some simply need solids earlier I think!

Reiss is now 5 and a half months and is fully weaned on 3 meals a day with both savoury and fruit at both main mealtimes. I mix milk in with these to ensure he's getting enough milk.

Good luck (we've got plenty of fab food ideas on June!!!!!)xx
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies and advice girls. Think i'll take the plunge as you have both suggested. Just feel like he's starving at the moment, and it's knackering all of us as i'm sure the lack of sleep is no good for him either. He was a pretty good sleeper during the day, but can't settle now so maybe it's because he needs abit more than milk.

Thanks Karen, will check out the food ideas! How is Reiss doing at night now he's weaned? I remember you answering one of my posts a couple of months back saying he was similar to Riley at night frequently feeding. Hope he's sleeping for you now. xxx
  • Options
    Hey Hun,

This sounds similar to my little one too, she feeds about 2hourly in the day, goes to about 90 mins in the evening and she will go one long stretch in the night 10-3 then be up at 6,8 and awake for the day at 10. I just dont know what to do she is only 10+3 weeks so I dont think I could try her on baby rice - a bit too early me thinks??? Hope it goes well with your son - let us know how you get on.

Amy xxxxxx
  • Options
    id also say maybe hes ready for weaning.Grace started feeding more frequently and waking in the night when previously slept thru so we started weaning at 17 weeks and she loved it,it really made a difference too.I spoke 2 my hv and she said it was fine.Shes now 6 1/2mths and is on 3 main meals and snacks with 4 bf a day and sleeps thru 6pm to 6.30am.Good luck,its all fun xxx
  • Options
    Hiya Rebecca

Reiss has slept so much better since he's been on 3 meals a day. I have to admit it took a while, and in fact when I first started him he was worse for a few nights, but that was at the same time he had a nasty cold, so more likely to be that.

He now sleeps from 7pm-5amish, has a quick ziz on the boob then back down til around 6.30 which is perfect. Really can't complain!

Hanna - when you say you give Gracie snacks, what do you give her? Also, have you given her yoghurts yet? I'm going to try Reiss on them and hope he hasn't got a dodgy tum like his big bro. I'll micro them to take the edge off the coldness first though otherwise he'll be horrified!xx
  • Options
    Hey, poor you, you must be exhausted! My lo have been sleeping beter some nights since we started weaning her at 16 weeks. It's now she having lunch and dinner it seems to be helping. Monday night she didn't feed at all though did wake for her dummy at 9.45pm and 4am though last night she woke for 2 quick feeds at 1am and 4am. I do wonder if they were for comfort but giving her her dummy made her cry more........she doesn't want to drop those night feeds I guess........

Try giving some baby rice after a milk feed and see what happens, as long as you stick to the safe foods fir early weaning it wouldn't hurt to try!