Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

breast feeding and hand sucking

Hi,
Can anyone give me any advice ? I am a first time mum and have no family to seek advice from and i have not bought any self guide books because i was hoping my instincts would guide me. !

I have an 18 day old baby boy and I am breastfeeding. We had a good routine in the first 10 days when he was feeding every 3 hours and drinking 20 mins from each breast, he latched on well and was was sleepy towards the end of the feed and slept well for 3 hours and sometimes 4 hrs during the early morning. Because he had only gained 40g in the first wk the midwife said I should not let him sleep so long and wake him up to feed him every 2 - 2 and a half hours. I started to do as she said and its completely upset his routine, he now struggles to latch on, only feeds for 20 mins if we are lucky and I have to keep getting him to attach properly, he does not sleep hardly at all and is constantly crying and sucking his hands.He wont sleep in his moses or his crib and wont even let me put him down. The only rest he has got is when i lie him in bed with me, husband is on the sofa and i still dont get any sleep cos i am worried about co sleeping. Was I just luck in the first 10 days ?? is this hand sucking a sign he is still hungry or maybe a sign of colic ?? i am trying to get him back in his routine but its very hard now cos he does not settle to sleep and i am finding myself trying to constantly feed him. Do I put him down and let him cry ?? i had a natural home birth 8 hr labour with no complications. my instincts are telling me to stil feed on demand (could be every hr at the mo), cradle him to sleep and try to put him in his crib when asleep and when he starts to wake comfort him and put him back down to sleep.

Replies

• Options
    Hi i am certainly no expert but my instinct would be to tell you to feed on demand just now even if that means constantly. My son fed constantly for the fist 6 weeks or so, he is 12 weeks now and has settled considerably. Its a shame that your sons routine was upset but it may of happened anyway because it might be that changing the feeding routine coincided with a growth spurt and its this that has upset him. I hope you get him more settled agasin soon x
  • Options
    hello my luv - definitely feed on demand - he is soo young still and he needs milk (little and often at that age). I was tied to the chair for weeks with my daughter as she fed all day. And I mean all day!! - I had 15min gaps between feeds lol.

I wld say you was just lucky in the first 10 days but now his appetite has increased and he wants milk!

I would - feed on demand, if you want to rock him to sleep - do that - no harm done - (I did it!) - I fed my lo every hour day and night - I now feed every 2.5 hrs in the day and every 3.5 hrs in the night (she is 4 months).

Get the book "the no cry sleep solution" - helps you to understand how important sleep is and how to build good habits without leaving your baby to cry (i dont agree with letting a baby cry it out!!)

My lo sucks her hands constantly all day - she isnt teething or hungry - she just likes her hands. If your lo has just fed and burped and is still munching his hands - it probably just comforts him. If he cries out whilst munching his hands - most prob teething (try calpol or nurofen for babies - depending on his age) If you want to give him a dummy?? I have tried my lo but she wont take it. Shame as I think she would like it.

Does he have colic or something like that (if he is drying all the time??) Maybe ring your HV - ask her to visit you and sit down with her and go through all the symptoms....how yr day is with her....if you want to email me - I will try to give you my opinion?!?

p.s. quit enormal for a baby to sleep well next to you - they want to be with mummy all the times they feel safe!! Have you thought about putting a 3 sided cot next to your bed (you could connect it with strings or something similar, so that the cot doesnt move away from your bed (for safety - you dont want baby falling!!). This way baby is next to you but hubby can come back to bed!

Have you tried a baby carrier - so that at least you can get some jobs done?? My mum carried me around all day.

Some babies just love being held - some are not so bothered. Dont worry about it..!!

Good luck and well done!!
    xxxx
  • Options
    Hi there, parenting is such a personal thing but I would have to say follow your instincts! I personally didn't worry about 'making a rod for my own back' etc etc, I fed, cuddled, rocked my baby whenever she wanted - it helps to make them more confident and now and night she only calls out if she really needs me - from 17 weeks she's slept 12 hours a night. Remember you are Mummy and you know best.

Helen x