Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Doc mentioned something odd?

I'm still bf my 1 year old and I'm 8+3. I'd had a little bleed last week which he knew about and said I'm not sure if bf could of caused the bleed... we don't know? So I left thinking did it? Shall I stop? What? What does that mean apart from worry me!

Replies

• Options
    Although there is no scientific evidence linking breastfeeding and miscarriage there are some basic links. I am not trying to worry you but just place some facts. When you BF your body produces oxytocin which can cause mini-contractions in the uterus. Also your body will have lowered progesterone and oestrogen levels whilst BF which help prevent pregnancy. In the old days doctors recommended against BF when pregnant because your BF baby will take all the nutrients and leave the embryo with less but todays diets are so much better that this is less of a problem.

BF is less of a problem in young mums but if you are over 30 (like me) then your hormones aren't quite as stable as they used to be. :\(

At the end of the day it's up to you. BF is a great way of bonding with your LO and it will be heartbreaking to stop.

Good luck,
    H xx
  • Options
    Hi there,I was still bf my 10 month old when I found out I was pregnant. I had quite alot of bleeding at around 6 weeks for a duration of one week and everything was fine. It was never mentioned that bf could have anything to do with it (although a possible blood clot was mentioned as nothing to worry about) & I carried on bf for a couple of months.

Bleeding in the first trimester does seem to be relatively common amongst those who aren't breasfeeding. Sorry if not much help,just wanted to share my experience. Good luck and try not to worry.x
  • Options
    sorry i cnt help much either but just wanted to say that i am 5 mths pregnant and am still bf grace who is 11 months.I am classed as high risk when im pregnant as iv had a previous mc at 23 weeks and as aresult have to have a cervical suture to prevent going into prem labour again.Iv not had a single health profesional tell me i shouldnt be breastfeeding so it cant be that dangerous.I know easier said than done but try not to worry,as missymoo says its quite common to bleed during pregnancy and everything to be fine.Well done for continuing with bf and do what you want not what anyone else tells you to do.All the best of luck for the rest of your pregnancy xxx
  • Options
    Hi there, its up to you but personally i wouldnt stop bfing because of the bleed. I wasnt bfing when i was pregnant but just wanted to add that i had a bleed when i was 6 and 8 weeks pregnant so quite common. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy xx