Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Alcohol??

Hi Girls,

I am going out for a meal tonight, first time leaving my 5 week old girl eeek!!! I am nervous already but she is in good hands with my parents.

I have asked my midwife about drinking whilst b'feeding and she said a glass or 2 of wine is fine. Just wanted to know what you girls have all done??

Thanks in advance,

Amy n Amber xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi,

I have a glass on a Fri and Sat night usually and have had a couple/few glasses on special occasions!

During pregnancy it goes into lo through bloodstream and stays in lo for a considerable amount of time which can cause damage. Whereas when breastfeeding, only a tiny amount goes into our milk and wears off within 90mins. It takes 30mins to get into the milk and then another hour to wear off. Just like it wears off us when we drink.

So, I say enjoy yourself and have a couple of glasses of wine!
  • Options
    i have a drink on a weekend occassionally too especially now grace goes so long between feeds n she been fine.Have a good night out im sure u deserve it! xx
  • Options
    I know you've already had your night so hope you had a good time & managed to enjoy a couple of glasses ;\) but just wanted to add it is fine to have a glass or two of wine.

When I was pregnant I chose to not touch a drop but as Kade goes through the night 7pm till 7.30am, I now have a glass or two of wine 3 or 4 times a week. My only rule is strictly no more than two glasses and none after 10pm, that way I know it will have left my milk by the time his next feed is due xx
  • Options
    Hey hope you had a good evening

Just to add I got lashed when i was feeding my twins (accidently hadnt had any wine for over a year, first glass went straight to my head and then before i knew it i was drunk)

Rang my hv as i was planning to express and throw it away but wanted to know how long it wld take to clear from my system, she said not to worry and that it might give boys a runny poo but amount would be too small to cause any problems.

I too didnt drink during pregnancy but with this lo i have a few glasses on the weekend

xxDBxx
  • Options
    ps im not recommending getting lashed!
  • Options
    I had two glasses last night and I fely like i'd had two bottles! I didn't drink during pregnancy either so I guess thats why i'm such a lightweight now! lol
  • Options
    Hiya hope yo had a good nite xx

I remember the first time i had some wine it was hogmany last year, Lewis was 8 month old and it was the first drink so i was really nervous thinking i was going to kill my son or something, he was fine just slept alot the next day and his poop smelt really sweet lol!