Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

feeding still painful after 3 months?

hi ladies

my lo is 13 weeks old now, and i have bf from birth (also expressed and now he has 2 formula feeds per day) iv had nipple pain since he was a bout as week old, its just at the beginning of the feed and last about a minute but is extremely painful! my hv said the pain should have stopped after about 6 weeks, and my gp said some women have pain up until 12 weeks but very rarly does it continue past then, she had a look and said they seem ok...its a sharp pain and has caused me to cry many time. has anyone had this pain that lasts this long? and does it ever go away? thanks

ashy x

Replies

• Options
    I'm sorry I have no experience with this, but it sounds like your doing so well to carry on. Have you tried any creams or shields? Does it hurt to express, or is it just lo latching on, then coming off?
    x x x
  • Options
    cornetto when i went to my gp i asked about thrush, she didnt think it was but gave me some cream but it didnt help.

hayls, i have been using lansinoh after every feed since the beginning and i also used shields for a while but my hv thought i should stop because it would affect my milk supply if used long term. the pain is when lo latches on and lasts for about a minute...

hmmm i just dont know why it still hurts!

ashy x
  • Options
    Firstly well done your a star your are doing so well !!
    Please just check your latch,it does change as the baby grows,you may have to just alter your hold to one side abit more,make sure that your lo's nose is directly pointing at your nipple and also that his mouth is very wide like a yawn wen latching on.
    I always got pain for the first few sucks maybe 30seconds but it stopped once my breastfeeding advisor gave me those tips.
    dont use sheilds hun it will affect you negativly and i would faze out the formula once you get your positioning right unless you pump to make up for the 2 lost feeds your boobs will make less as they dont realise they are being substiuted those feeds.
    i really hope thoses things help, i really would reccommend a breastfeeding councillor if there is one local to you x