Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

combining breast and bottle??

just a quick question can you combine breast and expressed breast milk? how would you do this? could i give him him some breast feeds and then some bottle feeds in the same day?

Replies

• Options
    You can, but I wouldn't advise doing it as a regular thing and it depends on the age of lo. I wouldn't introduce a bottle too early (before 6 weeks) regardless of what milk is in it as lo might start to prefer the easier teat to the harder work of getting milk from you. We had to give expressed milk to my lo as a newborn to get her to regain her birth weight but fed her with a cup as we didn't want her to get used to a bottle so that was hassle but fortuantely wasn't for long.

If you are giving expressed milk you obviously need to express it in the first place which is ok if you are going out or for the odd occasion but why express to then give it to lo on a regular basis? It seems like a lot of hassle and You can't express as effectively as lo takes the milk from you so you won't produce as much in the long term. Does that make sense? I hope so!
  • Options
    Hi
    My little one has had a bottle of my milk from about 4 weeks (he is 6 weeks now) and has had no difficulties. My hubby feeds him the bottle at 10.30pm and I express once in the morning/aft and once at night to get abouy 160ml for the feed. It means I can go to bed about 8 or 9 and sleep through until next feed about 2/3am. I was worried but when he was in hospital (long story in intensive care for 10 days) they had to give him a bottle at 7 days (before was on a line) and I was worried he wouldn't take the breast. However, he did. Yes, it is a pain to express but it means hubby gets some time with him and I can get a few hrs sleep. Also if we want a night out (not yet!!) someone can give him a bottle. I wasn't sure how much to fill bottle with and health visitor no use but he has 140-160ml at this feed. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Hi
    I did this with my lo from about 6 weeks and it has worked really well. When doing first feed in the morning I would feed him from one side and express from the other, as you have most milk in the mornings and I found I didnt get as much expressing later in the day. He got used to having this one bottle a day, so as justmarried said oh could give him this, good for them bonding, and means you can get several hours sleep straight, or can can give bottle if easier when out and about.
    Babies adapt very well to things they are used to from quite early on! From what I have seen with friends it can mean that they cope better with different feeding methods when they get a bit bigger.
    By initially breastfeeding/expressed milk till 7 months, then mixed feeding, I fed my lo happily till 11 months when he decided he was ready to stop! Basically, do what suits you, you are likely to give up sooner if you feel too pressured by giving him every feed yourself.