Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breastfeeding in public????

I am due to have my fouth baby in Novemeber and really what to give breastfeeding ago as my other 3 are at school now and i bottlefed them and this is going to be my last child and would like to have that close bond that i never felt i had with bottlefeeding. Its just i'm really worried about going out and about with the baby if i'm breastfeeding. I have heard horrible stories about new mums getting weird looks from members of the public etc. Is it really hard to feed your baby in public in a descreet way? Thats all that really worrys me is having to use the loos to feed my baby.:?

Replies

• Options
    Hi Kezzie, How fantastic that you are going to give breastfeeding a go! Breastfeeding in public is an issue that many women worry about. It shouldn't as times are changing, it is now illegal to stop a mother breastfeeding in public in scotland and there are moves to make it law here in England. Can you do it disceetly? Yes of course you can. With all 3 of my children I managed it quite successfully even with my size 36FF Zipped feeding bra! I tended to wear loose fitting clothes T shirt / jumpers etc and just lifted them up I tended not to go for buttoned up blouses as I did feel exposed but some women are fine with them. You should not feed your baby in a Loo. If you are concious about it ask in a shop or restaurant if there is anywhere where you can feed your baby. Thanks Alison
  • Options
    Thanks for re-assuring me, I'm so going to give breastfeeding ago. Once again thank you for your advice.

Kezzie
  • Options
    hi im breastfeeding at the mo. my lo is 10 weeks. I tend to get some funny looks but it doesnt bother me this time. i was sat on a park the other week and got some looks but what do they expect me to do? starve her. It was either that or sit in the middle of Bosten town center. it was really busy so i went somewhere a little more quiet. it was a five minute walk from where we were, we had our lunch and my other daughter got a run round.

My only advice i could really give you though is not to let yourself get stressed out. my lo feeds evey hour to 2 hours but she has gained weight from day 1. If they are gaining weight then they must be getting enough. I didnt think like that with my first and gave up.
    sorry for going on a bit. steph
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Scarlet. Thats exactly what i'm thinking (if i'm out and need to feed i will). I know i do not want to stay at home just because of some members of public find it something to stare at. I'm definitly going to give it my best shot at breastfeeding.
    Thanks again for your advice.
  • Options
    I live in scotland so i understand things are different here. I havent had any problems feeding in public and ive done it in loads of places. The only thing id say is make sure you have practiced doing it discreetly whether you prefer to use a shawl or wear two tops like I do. That way no one will probably notice!
  • Options
    When we flew to Canada when my baby was 3 months old, I had to breast feed in very confined spaces - on planes and in airports. I had an extra large muslin from Toys R Us that I clipped onto my shoulder with a bulldog clip. My baby couldn't pull it off and it kept me covered.
  • Options
    wow kkng, that is a fab idea, now i'm realising that there are loads of ways to be discreet. I've noted down the large muslin squares on my 'to get list'.
    Thank you for your advice, i'm sure i will be just fine..lol
  • Options
    hi hun, its great that u want to give breastfeeding a go, im currently feeding no4, i tend to feed evie anywhere, if im wearng fitted t shrit i wear a bump band underneath, also primark r doing boob tubes for ??1.50 wich cover any tummy while u pop lo under ur top and cheaper than a bump band (i got loads,lol) good luck with breastfeeding hun. xxx
  • Options
    Love the idea of the bump band kirst3, I fed in public last time but I did sometimes feel a bit self conscious about my belly being out, I think I will be making a trip to primark before this one arrives!
  • Options
    welll done for thinking of trying i have been feeding Abby for 7 1/2months and have had to feed lots while out cos the shops are 58 miles from home so we don't have much choice it has also become a standing joke amongst friends that iwill get my boobs out at some point lol you will relax once you realize its ok and only the weird few lok and frown!! just a wee light anecdote for you... was sitting in tesco cafe giving Abby a wee sook as she was grizzly and as i said we were 58 miles from home and this old men was humfing to his wife about me feeding (she hadnt noticed) i was just about to make a comment back when Abby blew the biggest rasberry against my nipple!!! you should have seen his face it really made me and his wife laugh!!! think he will think twice about commenting in future lol
    just relax its natural and its them that has the problem
    fea x
  • Options
    Hi, I BF in public with my first & found it was only fiddley in the beginning as we were both learning but when we got the hang of it there was no stopping us & I was trying to feed in as many different public places as possible! I was willing someone to say something nasty but I had no negative reactions - actually people approached me to say how wonderful it was which I found more unnerving! (that was in the doctors waiting room).

If you do ever want to go somewhere private then I found shop changing rooms very convenient.

With my next bb due in November I am planning on buying a Storchenwiege sling...my sister has one & it's fab...will make feeding in public more discreet. I used to just tuck a muslin in my bra strap which is good for coverup & mop ups!

Actually, I had one negative reaction from my best friends then boyfriend (who is a total weirdo & thankfully off the scene now!), they came around the week I'd had my LO and as I was feeding he wouldn't come in the room & left & went home! (in the beginning) I warned everyone that was coming my house that they would probably/definitely see boobs when they came round as I was all fingers & thumbs at first & I rarely wore tops at home due to major leakage issues! lol!

I'm deffo going Primark for these boob tubes - great idea!

Good luck!
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi, I BF in public with my first & found it was only fiddley in the beginning as we were both learning but when we got the hang of it there was no stopping us & I was trying to feed in as many different public places as possible! I was willing someone to say something nasty but I had no negative reactions - actually people approached me to say how wonderful it was which I found more unnerving! (that was in the doctors waiting room).

If you do ever want to go somewhere private then I found shop changing rooms very convenient.

With my next bb due in November I am planning on buying a Storchenwiege sling...my sister has one & it's fab...will make feeding in public more discreet. I used to just tuck a muslin in my bra strap which is good for coverup & mop ups!

Actually, I had one negative reaction from my best friends then boyfriend (who is a total weirdo & thankfully off the scene now!), they came around the week I'd had my LO and as I was feeding he wouldn't come in the room & left & went home! (in the beginning) I warned everyone that was coming my house that they would probably/definitely see boobs when they came round as I was all fingers & thumbs at first & I rarely wore tops at home due to major leakage issues! lol!

I'm deffo going Primark for these boob tubes - great idea!

Good luck!
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi there

I found it very difficult to b/f in public in the very early weeks (VERY early weeks) as lo and I were still learning and neither of us were very good. However since about week 8 I have been totally confident in it and it is very easy to do it discreetly and I have NEVER had an odd look or comment!

In fact at the hairdresser I had to feed before my appointment and the biggest compliment I had was that the hairdresser didn't realise I was busy doing it so it must have been discreet!!!

Go for it and best of luck - it is a fabulous experience albeit hard work to get started!
  • Options
    Hi I have breastfed all 3 of mine in public and am still feeding my 13 month old. I have always felt proud of breastfeeding and never had any comments from anyone. In a wierd way I would have liked some comments as I have always had a few replies ready that would hopefully educate anyone who was silly enough to say anything to me. I now only feed this lo indoors or in the car as she is too nosey and won't feed if anyone else is around which is a shame because I would also have liked some discussions with people about breastfeeding a toddler!
    I hope you enjoy your bf experience and don't forget we are here for support.xx
  • Options
    Awwwww thanks for all your good sound advice, that boob tube from primark sounds like a perfect solution for most of my worries, brilliant idea Kirst.
    I will definitly be back on here if i have trouble you are all so friendly and its so nice to chat to mums with similar stories and issue. Makes me feel like i'm not alone in thinking this...lol

Chat soon all and take care x

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev316pr___.png

[Modified by: Kezzie79 on May 14, 2008 01:28 PM]

• Options
    I hated bfing in public because I have large breasts and didn't feel I could do it discreetly. But my little man had to eat, so I just did what I could to find a quiet spot. A lot of shopping centres have nursing rooms. I think most Debenhams, Mothercare's and John Lewis stores do too. I fed him more than once in the backseat of the car in a car park. I fed him in parks away from the crowd and a few times on airplanes. I got more confident the more I did it.
  • Options
    Well done for giving breastfeeding a try.

When I breast fed my lo I couldnt care less what anyone else thought. Its one of the most natural things in the world, did we have formula 100 years ago, no! We get hung up because boobs are exclusively seen as a sexual thing nowadays.

I used to wear tops that I could lift up easily and as soon as bubba is latched on you cant see anything.
    Good luck
    xxx
  • Options
    Kezzie I'm in exactly the same position as you in that this is my 4th and last bubs and so want to experience successful bf'ing!

Thanks for the tip re boob tubes - excellent idea - in fact I'm looking forward to going and buying them with my huge bump and seeing the cashiers face - might even drop in a comment about wearing the boob tube out at the weekend to the local disco! Imagine I'd look like Vicky Pollard!

Karenxx
    21 days to go
  • Options
    I found wearing something that you can zip down and a fitted vest top underneath to pull up is very discreet. In fact a few times people have walked up to me to see the baby and quickly turned away saying they hadnt realised I was breastfeeding!
    Also Im not comfortable feeding in public so when Im out I pop in to Mothercare or M&S which have feeding rooms which I think is great!
  • Options
    A cardigan can also come in handy as you can pull that over the exposed bits. I was in Waterstones the book shop today and a woman was sitting in the kids corner feeding her lo and I would never have known unless I had breast fed my lo, it looked like bubba was sleeping in her arms.

If you really dont want to feed in public you can always express and give it in a bottle. You need to do what suits you so just see how you go.