Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Trapped wind (baby!) and diet

Hello ladies

Hope you're all well and enjoying the lovely weather.

My son is 10 weeks old and generally sleeps quite well with one feed in the night at about 3ish but every now and then he wakes up between about 4 and 5am with what I think is trapped wind. He doesn't cry but sort of writhes around for a bit every couple of minutes while making a grunting noise then drops off again. He kicks his legs out and his head goes from side to side. I get him out of his hammock and lie him face down on my chest while rubbing his back which seems to help a bit - especially if he manages a fart - but the only thing I've found that stops it completely is feeding him again even though he isn't showing signs of being hungry (he is a greedy boy and will always take a bit of boob when offered!!).

Looking back at my diet I think that cake might be the culprit so suspect baking powder is causing the problem as I eat all the other ingredients in cakes on a regular basis!

Has anyone else experienced something like this and do you think the cake theory is a likely one? It does seem a bit odd to me as most people say things like garlic or cabbage can give your baby wind, but I've never heard of cake doing it!

xxx

Replies

• Options
    My little boy does exactly the same (he's 9 weeks). He doesn't wake up but squirms and wriggles, and sometimes cries out. I tend to leave him as it settles quickly but I presume it is wind - sometimes he will pass some and then settles immediately. Haven't heard of baking powder being a cause before but I guess its possible! Perhaps try avoiding it for a few days and see if there's any difference in his sleep pattern?
  • Options
    Thanks bobsmummy, nice to know it's not just my boy (although obviously wouldn't wish it on anyone!).
    I have been trying to stay off cake anyway as going on holiday next week, but have to say the thought of getting less sleep is a far better incentive than looking slim on the beach, ha ha!!
  • Options
    Monty is just like that too! Guttingly I think chocolate is the culprit and possibly dairy. Just so you know, an elimination diet can often take up to three weeks before traces are gone from your system.
  • Options
    My LO was doing this every night. He was waking up around 4-6am crying and crying When i would get him up and feed him he wouldnt really take anything and night he didnt wake up then he would be fine till 7-8am so i knew he wasnt hungry. He seemed to always need a poo at this time. Prob was chen i got him up to change him it would wake him right up.

Hes much better now and seems to keep his poo till a bit later, but its funny when i get him up at 7ish and change him before i feed him, the moving position and taking off his nappy encourages him to poo and ive been splatted a couple of times with his projectile farts!!!

Gemm x
  • Options
    Hi scubachick, I may have some good news for you! My LO has always suffered from really bad wind and my HV said that stodgy and carb heavy food was the way to go to alleviate wind symptoms in him. She said that now was the time to overload on cakes, bread, biscuits etc as it was the healthy food like fruit and veges that caused problems! Naturally I took that advice and ran with it with the consequence that rather than losing weight I fear I am gaining it!

I must say though, I haven't noticed any differences in his wind no matter what I eat. I wish it was that simple! I asked my HV about it and she said some babies can take up to 8 months to resolve their wind issues. How depressing.

Peeptoe and Hugo (19 weeks today)
  • Options
    i cant eat mushrooms image they double my lo over!
  • Options
    Peeptoe, that must be why my kids have never had bad wind/colic problems, i generally give the veg, fruit and healthy things a miss, its cake, cake and biscuits all the way!!!

Gemm x
  • Options
    Hmm, all very interesting! Think I will keep a food diary. Had no cake yesterday but did have some quiche and Arthur had a bit of wind this morning so perhaps it's egg? Who knows, only time will tell I suppose!
    xxx
  • Options
    My LO definitely has a problem with dairy and cheese specifically is the worst.
    I've been dairy free for 10 weeks now (LO is 14 weeks) and I saw a gradual improvement over the first month. I tried eating cheese again a couple of weeks ago and it was a disaster.
    It was hard at first, but it didn't take long to get used to. The hardest bit was not having any chocolate over Easter!

B x
  • Options
    Ha ha Gemm, my hubby got up to change baby at 6 this morning after he'd been writhing around again and feeding him hadn't helped for once. The moment he took his nappy off he pooed everywhere, then weed as well but hubby said he had a huge smile on his face so he must have been so relieved bless him. So maybe that is what I need to do, although don't much fancy prospect of changing his bum at 5am as he does always wake up and want to play!