Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What would you do?

Barney is 9 1/2 months now and has been having 3 feeds a day for a while. Reccently he has completely lost intrest in his bedtime feed and is waking up at about 6-6.30am absolutely starving as a result. I have decided to stop trying to persuade him to take this feed and to try him with a cup of milk instead. EBM isn't an option as I get a pitifully small amount when I express, my original plan was to give him cows milk but we are going to Eygpt (on holiday) in a couple of weeks and I won't be able to get fresh cows milk. The logical answer would be a cup of follow on milk but I didn't want to have to give him formula, just wondered what everyone else would do?
xx

Replies

• Options
    My LO is only 4 months so I can't tell you what we do but could you try giving his last solids meal a little earlier or cut it down slightly. This should make him a bit hungrier for his bedtime feed.
    I would definitely give formula rather than cows milk for a baby under a year. It has many of the vitamins and minerals necessary for a young baby and is less likely to cause digestive problems or allergies.

Good luck and hope you have a good holiday,
    H xx
  • Options
    id get some ready to feed cartons hun just for whilst you are on holiday.Grace stopped wanting her bedtime feed at around this age and now shes almost 1 i give her a bottle of cows milk and she loves it! if he dosent take to it could you try offering him a little supper before bed like a slice of toast or a weetabix? xxx
  • Options
    I haven't posted very often but I read quite a bit and always look to your posts for advice Bedhead because I think you make a lot of sense - I think you should follow your instinct on this one.
    I know you're reluctant to give formula, and I know they don't advise cows milk as a drink until 1 year - but some babies at Barney's age are only having two milk feeds a day anyway, he'd still be having the morning and daytime breastfeeds wouldn't he - if he's trying to drop the bedtime feed himself, I don't think you'd technically be replacing his feed with cows milk, it'd be in addition to his breastfeeds, if that makes sense. If he has a healthy balanced diet, 2 breastfeeds a day is probably enough if that's all he really wants, and getting him used to cows milk is probably no bad thing.
    Could you still offer the bedtime feed, so he's getting the breast milk he normally would, then offer the cows milk afterwards to help with him getting hungry? or is it the battle of getting him to feed when he doesn't want to sit still/concentrate you're trying to avoid?
    A small supper is also a good suggestion I think - could you give a snack before bed while you're away if you can't get cows milk?
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies girls, I gave him a cup of formula last night and he drank a bit then decided he desperately wanted a bfeed and took more than he has for ages, awkward little sod!! I think I'm going to have to just see what happens!!!
    xx
  • Options
    they do like to confuse us dnt they! i cnt believe hes 9 1/2 mths i remember when u 1st had him! x
  • Options
    He took a really good feed tonight as well, I think the formula must have scared him!!

I know what you mean hollysmum, I can't believe you are pregnant again, it doesn't seem like 2 minutes since you had the last one :lol: They grow up so quickly don't they?
    xx
  • Options
    Hi i replied to this last night but BE ate my reply, grrr so if this reply doesnt make sense pls forgive me as what i wrote 1st time did! :roll:
    Rhys has shunned the bedtime feed a few times but luckily it wasnt too much of a problem because i was still doing the dream feed at the time. However the past few months he wont take a good feed at bedtime unless he is sleepy or else he fidgets and wants to explore!lol
    I see that Barney has taken an interest back to his bedtime feed so not really a problem atm but just thought id say what i would do if i was in that situation is that i might try bringing tea time at earlier time so maybe he may have more of a interest and if that didnt work i would try giving a dreamfeed an hour after he had gone to sleep which i did with rhys on those occasions and if that failed i would introduce a formula feed rather than cows milk esp as your going on holiday in a couple of weeks.
    Glad to hear Barney took a good feed last night, they like to keep us on our toes dont they!lol
    Hope you have a lovely holiday xx