Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

MIx feeding breast and bottle

Anyone done this before?

Amy is 3 and half months now and although i enjoy breast feeding and we dont seem to have any problems i am thinking about cutting back and maybe introducing formula just to give me a bit of a break from constant feeding and expressing (i express 9oz a day so hubby can feed her at bedtime)

How do you go about it?
what formula do you use?
I feel really selfish but im just tired and want a little bit more freedom instead of working around when her next feed is due!

Any advice?!?!
xxxx

Replies

• Options
    Hiya,

I have breastfed all four of my children and I used formula at the same time especially when feeling tired or if hubby wanted to help feed.

My third child was nearly 10lb born so with him I had to top up his feeds with formula.

Here is one idea to start you off, I found that if you gave the late nite feed as a formula the baby slept just a little longer, I think it was because the formula was more filling. As for choosing your formula i think its just trail and error. Try second stage cow & gate and see if your little one likes it, each baby is different.

Hope this has helped...

Kerry x
  • Options
    I did this for a while as well, until lo slept a little more overnight. I've stopped again now as he seems to have settled a bit more and only usually needs one sleep overnight now.

I gave my lo Aptimil - around 5oz when he needed it overnight (dh gave him a night feed to let me sleep all night on a Saturday night).

He was fine with it and took it really well as long as it was nice and warm like my milk! I also tried Hungry Baby milk from Cow & Gate but didn't make any difference to his sleeping unfortunately and didnt seem to fill him up any more!xx