Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Waiting until baby cries to feed?

Cameron is 6 days old and i have managed to breastfeed him all except the first night when he wouldnt latch and had formula in a cup.

Now that my milk has come in he is always suckling on me when i cuddle him, unless he has his dummy in. I know he isnt always hungry when he does it. its just cos he can smell the milk so do i only feed him when he is starting to get grisly and moany for it? he seems to be hungry for food every 2 hours or so, sometimes going 3 or sometimes only 1.5. does ths seem like a normal pattern for a newborn breastfeeder?

i think its going well, just need to check im doing the right thing by him if that makes sense. Im second guessing myself all the time...need to build my confidence up a bit! But i am loving it!

Replies

• Options
    every two hours sounds about right for 6 days old.
    Bmilk is very easily digested (with little waste) so they will need feeding more frequently at first.

Feed him as frequently as you want to - you cant overfeed him, and it'll all be good for your supply to become established. (should be established by6 weeks at the latest)

Congrats on a lovely baby boy and for deciding to bf. It really is a magical experience.

xxxx
  • Options
    Just to say well done on it all really!

What you are doing sounds absolutely right and fine so try not to doubt yourself, go with your instincts they are usually right (here's me saying that when my lo is now 7 months and I still doubt myself about all sorts!)

Like Steph says you can't over feed but 2 hourly sometimes mroe sometimes less sounds good to me!

WELL DONE! image
  • Options
    Thanks ladies...im almost teary reading that you think im doing it right! haha! think the hormones have got me!! he went 4 hours in the night last night, then was ravenous when he woke up but today im feeding about every two hours again.
    he's a little angel and i am so enjoying the closeness of breastfeeding!! thanks for getting back to me!
    x x x