Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Feeding discreetly

Hi ladies

I'm currently breastfeeding Orla and topping up on formula and so far have only bf at home. I need some tips or advice on how to keep my dignity whilst out and about. At home everything is on display as such so I can see what I'm doing, check her latch and make sure I'm not smothering her, and being an EE cup doesn't help! I tried using a muslin cloth but hubby said I looked like I was suffocating her and it was akwards not being able to see what I was doing. Help please!

Cat xxx

Replies

• Options
    hey mummycat,
    you can buy some nursing cover up things, i'm sure one of the other ladies will advise!
    in the early days, i used a flat moses basket sheet (bit bigger than muslin) and i could drape over without it going in her face! as time goes on, you will both get the hang of it, and less will need to be on display and lo will latch herself on so you prob wont need anything to cover up!
    also, i sit on cafe's facing the wall, or in a corner (not like on my own against the wall!)or something so people dont see what i'm doing anyway.
    xxxxx
  • Options
    also wear a vest top underneath your normal top but dont put you arms through the straps so it sits underneath your breasts so you dont expose your tum! practise in a mirror too so you can see that babys head covers quite alot of boob! It does get easier bf'ing in public the longer youve been doing it. Soon you'll be whapping um out anywhere
  • Options
    hiya !!
    Im breastfeeding , i use a blanket i put it around Lo and covers my tummy and side .. and all is covered!
  • Options
    I think it's good advice to try in front of a mirror. It took me about 6 weeks to feed LO with my top on - to see what I was doing, stop me getting too hot etc - and I built it up so much that I never mastered public feeding, but I so wish I'd just bitten the bullet, so my advice would be to try it as soon as you can and you'll probably find it easier than you were expecting! I'd get so jealous of people who could do it, but truth is I never really tried (literally once in a cafe and a couple of times at home in front of friends) in 8 months of breastfeeding, and it would've been so much easier if I'd just got on with it - it's the main thing I want to do differently next time.

I'm proof it is possible to keep up breastfeeding without feeding in public - but I really do wish I'd just gone for it!

Good luck
  • Options
    Hi

I got one of these, not really used it yet though.

http://www.babybubu.co.uk/?p=1&c=breastfeeding_covers

K x x x
  • Options
    Hey hun, I second what the others have said, I use a breastfeeding vest and wear it under my clothes so that I don;t have to get my horrible wobbly belly out in public when i pull my top up or unbutton my shirt. I have also bought these and they are fab! http://www.huddleandbliss.com/product-details.asp?ProdID=136 I fed Fred for the first time in public in Starbucks the other day, i had to latch him on in the baby change bit and then walk slowly back to my seat. He did fall off ionce but I just went and stood in a corner to get him back on and then covered us up again!

xx
  • Options
    I use a large muslin square this is light and easy to stuff in the change bag. I tuck one corner around my bra strap at the corner and then i have a large triangle as a cover up. I find this works well when out and about.

Have a look at:

http://www.bigmuz.com/

HTH

Katstar xxx
  • Options
    Thank you for all your tips girls. Well I bit hte bullet yesterday and fed Orla at the park! I was wearing a breastfeeding bra and cami under a shirt so I was well covered but still put a muslin over us too because she has sometimes just pulls away from the boob and I didn't want anything on show. Thank again for all your advice xxx

Cat xxx
  • Options
    you've made the first move to give yourself the confidence to bf wherever you happen to be when lo needs feeding well done.

my lo had reflux (which i didn't know about for ages) so he was a very frantic feeder and would latch on and off throughout the feed which was a bit of a nighmare. I also couldn't cover him with anything as he got so hot he would be very uncomfortable so I used bf tops and some home made ones too. I used to make a verticle slit in a vest at the side of each breast (closer to the armpit side) with a normal top over this and then i would pull up my top and pul the slit open so that the only part of my breast that was exposed was covered by the baby's head.

i also used to hold my breast up with my opposite hand if i though he was going to latch off then i could quickly cover up the gap in my top with my hand if i needed to.

and once I was used to feeding in public, I just switched off to everyone else around me (the general public i mean) and if any part of me was expose i just didn't think about it so I wasn't worrying about what other people might me thinking which helped to keep me calm.