Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

advice re: colic

hello ladies!

my poor little man has colic and i just don't know what to do for him. i have tried infacol and gripe water. the infacol didn't really help and the gripe water was great for the first few days but seems not to be helping anymore. after i feed him he just screams and screams. sometimes he'll settle for a couple of minutes and then start screaming all of a sudden. i feel so sorry for him. he is bf through the day and then has 3-4oz of ebm before bed as i seem to run out of milk for him at nite. his screaming is worse in the evening but yesterday and today he has been screaming until he wears himself out and finally falls asleep.

he has had gastric reflux since birth and has gaviscon after feeds. the reflux makes him vomit alot so he isn't gaining weight very fast. i'm worried that all this screaming is going to slow his weight gain even more. he's 9 weeks old now.

sorry this is a long post. any advice from you on how i can help him would be great.
thank you, amanda and finnley x

Replies

• Options
    Feel so sorry for you and your baby and can completely empathise. My LO cried form morning till night until she was 15wks old when she just seemed to grow out of it. We tried EVERYHTHING and nothing really made much difference but I think it may be worth you trying something called Colief. It's a liquid medication you add to each feed that contains an enzyme that is supposed to help aid the digestion of milk (one of the theories behind colic is that babies less that 12wks have an immature digestive system and have trouble breaking down lactose). It is mainly used for babies that are lactose intolerant and it is suggetsed that you use it until your baby is 12-16wks when you are advised to wean them off it slowly by adding less to each feed. It is available over the counter at most chemists (inc Boots) but is expensive (??10.00 a bottle) which lasts roughly a week depending on how often you feed. I am lucky enough to have a great GP who agreed to prescribe it for my LO as she was so bad. It did seem to help although it wasn't a wonder cure but I have heard some reports that it was a miracle for some babies. It's also quite difficult if you breast feed as it should be given in milk-i expressed and gave it in approx 15mls of EBM before I breast fed. If you feel like I felt then i'm sure you think anything is worth a go! I wish you all the luck and I know you must be sick of hearing it but things will get better, it just takes time x x x
  • Options
    this may sound a bit way out but have you tried massage?i went on a baby massage course and massaging babies feet (i know weird!) really helps my wee one was bad with it in the first 9 weeks but massage helped is seemed to relax her enough for the wind to pass out her easier lots of bottom burps lol.
    my friend swears by taking yakult herself she says it must pass through her milk and help stabalise her wee ones tum havent tried myself as she has grown out of it
    fea x
  • Options
    which milk do u use for him hun?
  • Options
    hi amanda,i just read your message and it is exactly what im goin through at the mo,its almost as though i could of wrote that!! and my baby is also 9weeks.he suffers rely bad too and i also breast feed,i cant really give any advise because nothin seems to help my little one either,although my healthvisitor suggested after feeding them,rather than the usual patting and rubbing the back,give them the infacol or gripewater then sit them on your knee so theyre facing to the side,have 1hand under the chin and 1hand on there back with 2fingers supporting there head and roll little one round and round making sure there bums stll sat on your knee because that makes the trapped wind wiggle free.It doesnt work everytime with bailey but on the odd ocasion it does,its definatly worth a try!! hope it works for you. becky xx
  • Options
    thank you very much for your replies ladies. this colic is a nightmare isn't it?! i love finnley with my whole heart but i do sometimes think i'd like to throw him out the window...lol!!! i'm going to take finn to see a chiropractor today as i have heard that this will help him. also, i have been eating lots of cheese in the last few days so i'm going to stop that and see if its that that is upsetting him so much.

mummaj, i think i'll go and get some colief 2day. it'll be a lot of faffing around but sooo worth it if it helps. i express eveyday anyway so i'll just mix it with that. thank you.

highlandfea, i've tried massage but when he's really cross it just makes him crosser!! he loves it after the bath tho!

miss slimmaz, currently finn has breast milk only but if i do need to give him formula at any time i'll give him aptamil.

becky25, i'm sorry ur going thru this too. i tried what you sugested and it worked! he did a big burp straight away. the trouble is even when he's brought up wind, he still cries like he's in pain. what a nightmare! good luck with bailey. if i find any wonder cures i'll let you know.

thanks again girls, amanda and finn x