Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Help me!!!!!

I have a huge crack down one of my nipples. It's absolutely killing me and I cannot feed from it at all now! I don't know what to do, I tried to express yesterday and managed two breast feeds but it's so sore and I was wondering if anyone had any clue how to fix it?? I've got Lanisoh and breast sheilds but I dont know if I'm making it worse? How long can I just leave this breast well alone for without my milk supply drying up??? She is latched on fine as she feeds perfectly from the other breast!!! Please help me...I was close to giving up last night! xxx

Lyns and Sophia (11 days!) xxx

Replies

• Options
    I feel your pain!!!! This happened to me too! I used my breast pump for 2 days and gave my nipples a rest and then took extra care to make sure LO position and attachment were correct. When he first went on it did sting a bit but once he had sucked my nipple to the back of his throat to the soft palate I didn't feel a thing.

Keep going with the cream and if you can express, thats my advice, hope it helps.

xxx
  • Options
    i second Mrs M81, try a different position. Ive not had cracked nips but did struggle in the first few weeks with my last baby and i used cream and it didnt help till i tried rugby ball and it was amazing within a day. never had another prob

good luck

Gemm x
  • Options
    I had this for the first 3 weeks with my first. I personally found camilosan cream better than lanisoh - also making sure the nipple goes far enough into the mouth, latching baby on before she is desparate to feed i.e well before she cries will give you more time and feel much calmer when positioning her. lastly wishing you much luck and love - you are doing a great job, stick at it and honestly in no time it will just be a doddle.
    Hugs
    Jo xxx
  • Options
    I've had one for weeks, i was given some medela hydrogel pads which were amazing, alos make sure you don't have thrush as this will stop healing. I have gone through about 3 tubes of lansinoh, love the stuff and my nipple is now almost healed xx
  • Options
    I have been unable to use my left breast since lo one was 10 days old as it's so badly cracked.Both MW and HV advised me to stop as it's split just behind the nipple almost completely around it. Every time I use it it starts bleeding and won't heal. He's now 7 weeks. I was using a pump to express to keep milk flow going but a bf cousellor said to stop as it wasn't healing after another 10 days. I am now hand expressing it but still not healing. I've managed to feed him this week a couple of times on it by putting him under my arm as I find this the most comfortable position on that breast.
    I know this all sounds rather negative but it's been ok. I've been feeding him from the right breast only for the last 5 weeks and each week he has gained between 10 oz and 16 oz so he's def not starving. My HV said that she knows of a few mums who only feed from one side due to baby only liking one side or easier for mum etc.
    Sorry rambling now but basically I'm trying to say you can rest it for a few days and it won't affect baby. Just hand express the bad one a few times a day to keep milk flow.
    Katherine and Ioan 7 weeks today xxx
  • Options
    Uggghh I ended up with mastitis, so I expressed for a week, she then wouldn't go back on so I got some help from Home Start, I then got mastitis on the other side. Both breasts seem to be up and running now but I'm having problems with my right breast, she's crying as soon as she's on it and all the way through the feed! It's a minefield this BF malarkey but well worth it, she's healthy and happy and gaining weight!!!

Thanks for all your advice, it's good to know others have had the same experiences!!! xxx