Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Prefer One breast better

I feel I prefer feeding lo with my right breast as opposed to my left, cos I seem to get her to latch better and my left one is often sore - which Im not sure why. Anyone else feel this way? Will my milk supply in my left be affected if I feed more with my right breast?

Susan

Replies

• Options
    Hi there, yes it will be affected slightly because if you are always offering the right breast first she will always be taking more at the beginning of the feed than from the left breast (im assuming if you offer both the breasts for a feed?) but not enough to be a real concern. I find i do the same, im always in the habit of offering my right breast first and noticed that when the next feed was due it would always be the slightly fuller one so had to remind myself to offer the left breast first at alternate feeds to try and boost the supply a little to even out... i still forget tho lol
    HTH xx
  • Options
    Forget to add! For some reason i always had a better latch on my left breast than my right breast and suffered a worse sore nipple on that side than the left but could never work out why!lol i even had a bfing councilor check my hold of the baby and latch and couldnt see a difference but after a bit once i mastered bfing it was no longer a problem then noticed it went the other way and i was preferring to feed lo on my right breast!
  • Options
    hi there,

my baby is six months old & from very early on l notice that she seems to prefer my left breast more, there is more milk supply on that side & it feels better to me feeding her on the left. l could easily only feed her on the left but just carried on using the right cos l thought it might make the milk dry up on that side (not that it would matter!). l mentioned it to a breastfeeding counsellor & she said its very normal.
    Strange but true!
    xx
  • Options
    i find i prefer to feed her on right side, and she seems to feed much better on this side. Also find milk supply is better on that side, maybe thats cos she gets more milk from right so milk supply nis better is better on that side. Sure this is quite common though