Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breast supply low - which formula to introduce? HELP !!!

Hi ladies

Since I have returned to work I have been unable to express as much milk as before. I currently need enough for 2 bottles a day and i'm only getting enough for 1 so my frozen supply is slowly dropping.

Little Man is almost 9 months old and I should be ok from a supply point of view for at least anoth 3 - 4 weeks but after that I will have to introuce a bottle of formula a day to ensure he's getting what he needs. I have no idea which one is best to put him on and even then which one within the group - 1st formula, follow on formula !!!

Any advise?

Thanks

Sab x

Replies

• Options
    hi ya. i had to introduce a formula when my milk was low with my first son, i used aptamil. my h/v said it was the closest to bm. its available in tesco and costs ??6.50ish (i was buying it 2 years ago) a tub. there is 3 types, blue for newbies, green for hungry babies and purple for older babies. i gave david the blue untill he went onto cow's milk at 16 months as the others were too heavy for him and made him sick.

if you are unsure which is best, ask your h/v but i found the aptamil really good.

good luck!
  • Options
    Hi, I used Cow & Gate with all 3 babies and they were fine on it. I'd say using the 1st stage of any milk is fine at any age...i never changed mine to follow on milk as hv said (5 yrs ago tho!) that the extra iron etc in follow on milk was given thru solids any way, and that it was a bit of a gimmick. You don't get club points on 1st milk or special deals (gov don't want to encourage it b4 6 mth as want bf!) so you may want to go for follow on!
  • Options
    My niece had the occasional bottle of formula from birth and she always had aptimil. Like rainbowmummy says it is supposed to be the closest to breast milk.
  • Options
    I used Aptimil when I stopped BF my son but it caused his skin to flare up really badly so I switched to SMA Gold which I'm now using for our little girl and they both took to it really well. Only ever used the first milk, like Ali I was told that the follow on milks were a bit of a con as long as bubs having a varied diet when being weaned. I believe that there's very little to choose between SMA and C&G but it could just be a case of trial and error for you. Might be worth buying the little cartons of ready made formula at first instead of an expensive tin of one that ends up not suiting baby.
  • Options
    hiya

my hv told me that from 9 months on they only really need 3 feeds a day (try telling that to ollie tho :roll: ) so could you try giving them water to drink during the day?
    they can go onto cows milk as well at 12 months old, and i plan on starting ollie on it now (10 months)
    my hv said that is fine if we start with full fat but water it down half and half at first then give it to him like normal around 11 months - so it is feasible for you not to need to introduce formula.

remember even tho they need around 20oz milk a day they get a lot of that from their food as well (milk on cereal, yoghurts etc) so three feeds is more than enough

if you dont like that idea tho, then i would suggest the ready made ones, if its only going to be one feeds a day then its not too expensive.

I do have to add tho (and this scares me) that a frined of mine is allergic to anything dairy, and yet she can have formula milk and she does use it for her cereal etc just uses it like normal milk. That honestly does frighten me.

good luck with lo
    xxx