Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

When does milk come in - pls help!

Its not going well, have flat-ish nipples, but pump makes them come out. Have been feeding newborn - 5 day old with expressed colostrum and topping up with formula, using nipple shields to improve latching, but still no actual milk.

its really hard to be sure she is getting enough and i think she'll find it easier when the milk comes in, but still not there yet! And now to top it all, nipples are getting sore from all the pump action!

Any views on how long milk takes to come in? What i am expressing is still pretty yellow, rather than milk.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi there

It's usually around day 3 but can vary slightly. I had to express and feed my baby with a bottle for the first 2 weeks as she was premature and couldn't latch on - I remember my milk starting to change from the colostrum from day 3 but it took a couple of days until it looked completely like proper milk.

I know it's hard work expressing each feed and trying to get baby to latch on each time but I promise you it's defintiely worth the hardwork!

Are you expressing at each feed? (including through the night) This will help to improve your supply.

Also, make sure you give baby LOTS of skin to skin contact as this encourages them to BF.

Good luck :\)

Love NN and Olyvia xxx

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/Tp6A.png

http://lbff.lilypie.com/vBTq.png

• Options
    My milk started to come in on day 5, but Evan wanted more. So i've been expressing and giving formula.
    He's 3wks old tomorrow and it seems to be working for both of us. x

[Modified by: *impatient* on February 20, 2010 09:06 PM]

• Options
    Congratulations on your LO, my DD is a day younger than yours and my milk just came in properly yesterday at 5 days xxx
  • Options
    Expressing isnt the same as baby sucking so it may take longer for milk to come in. I wld get professional advice on this one as I wld have expected yr milk to come in by now. xxxx