Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Question about night feeds

Hi everyone, I'm looking for advice...

Amber is 8wks old and exclusively bf.

Up until she was 7 weeks she mainly slept in bed with me and I fed her in bed and managed to get a reasonable amount of sleep. However, I decided that she needs to be in her moses basket as she is getting wrigglier and I don't want her falling out of the bed or slipping under the duvet.

So, I have been giving her a big feed in the evening and then putting her to bed in her basket and lying in the big bed next to her, ensuring she gets to sleep. She then goes about 3.5 hours before waking for a feed. I get up then and sit in the feeding chair and give her a feed for about 20mins, then put her back in her basket and sshh her to sleep. However, at this point - it seems to go a bit wrong as she will then wake up between 1 and 2 hours later, so I have to repeat everything again and again and again - I am soooo tired now! I can only think she's not getting enough milk at the late feeds which is why she wakes so frequently, but I do all I can to keep her on as long as possible, only ever offer her 1 side per feed.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am considering resorting to bed sharing again, just to get some sleep, but really don't want to :\?

Replies

• Options
    The way I see it- either she is hungry OR she likes your bed!! To see if she's hungry why don't you give her both sides in the night so she has plenty. If she refuses food then she's just after the attention & I would be quite hard for a few nights- no cuddling, rocking, sshh'ing just light off and down!!
    It does get better!!
  • Options
    Tricky one hun, it could be she is waking for comfort if she was going longer whn snuggled up to you in your bed. I'd rule out a growth spurt by giving it a few days, then see if you can get her to go longer between the feeds. Does she have a dummy? Riley still feeds a lot at night, really erratically and I don't have the heart to not feed him even though I know he can go 6 hours! So I know how tiring it is. Do you swaddle her? xxx
  • Options
    Just wanted to say that in all reality, she is still a tiny baby and the constant night feeding is all a normal part of baby keeping your milk supply up. Prolactin levels reach their peak at around 1am-4am and babies are tuned into this as that is when you make most milk so therefore then tend to wake around these times quite frequently.

With regard to no longer co-sleeping, have you thought about getting a bedguard (the type you get for kids which stop them from falling out of bed) so that you can still cosleep. There are plenty of options out there to ensure safe cosleeping which also means a better nights sleep for you.

Personally - I have a double mattress on the floor in babys room so when she wakes I just go in there and lie in bed with her, but there is no fear of her hurting herself as the mattress is floor level. That was MY solution, but there are lots more out there!
  • Options
    My lo was the same, falling asleep whilst feeding then waking again soon after for another feed.

You could try changing his nappy to wake him up between sides or what i tried to do was give him an expressed feed from a bottle so he could get a full feed more quickly.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, she did go 6 hrs the other night, in her own bed! But was back to 2-4 hrly last night. I'm just going to try my best (and will check out bed guards) and accept it will not necc. be a quick thing to change xx
  • Options
    2Peas, again I could have written this myself, especially the fact that she once went 6 hours but her usual is 2-4. Also the fact that I'm really tempted to bed share more often than I now need to just because we all get more sleep that way.

I've taken to offering her both boobs in the night in the hope that she'll suck instinctively and in that way I'll "trick" her into having more milk, but she just turns her head away.

Like you, I'm trying to accept that we just have to wait for her to get a bit older :roll: