Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

help anyone online

help think ive got mastitus
no red lump but breast is sore n the pain is spreading! ive got temp of 101.4 i feel sick n luca wont take that side so im trying to express but it hurts n feels like the milk is stuck inside my breast i feel sick and boob is so sore i cant touch parts of it
what do you think

lolly

Replies

• Options
    Hey honey, sounds like it to me. Massage the lump pushing towards the direction of the nipple, sitting in a warm bath and putting warm cloths on can help. One midwife recommended getting your oh to suck from the boob putting his chin where the lump is do he massages that the blocked duct... think that one depends how desperate you are!!!

if your worried you could always give nhs direct a call. hope you feel better soon.
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi yeah im afraid it does sound like its mastitis. When i had it the first time i had all the symptoms apart from the redness and so the doctor didnt give me anything for it as he wasn't convinced, i went back home and it had gone red!
    Id recommend the same as emdt, also take paracetamol or ibuprofen, drink plenty , try and rest and also it sounds strange but if lo does take the affected breast , put lo on the bed and feed leaning over so the milk drains away better.
    Hope that helps and hope you feel better soon xx
  • Options
    thanx ladies have just tried to feed baby while in warm bath as mum said it would help ive taken paracetamol n my temp is down a tiny bit so thats good i getting fuzzy though like my brain forgets what im meant to be doin gonna lay down xxxxxxx
  • Options
    hi feelin abit better today as long as i dont stand up lol boob isnt too sore as ben feeding like mad but am very woozy n dizzy hopefully be better tommorow
  • Options
    If you aren't feeling better tomorrow then it is probably worth a trip to the out of hours doctor. In severe cases of mastitis you may need antibiotics to clear it up. You can still carry on feeding, I had to have antibiotics for mastitis twice before Millie was 6 weeks old. Don't want to scare you but it can turn into an abcess if you need the antibiotics and don't get them so better to be safe than sorry. Hope you feel better tomorrow.
    Kerry xx
  • Options
    ahh kerry you and your logic lol oh says same thing must see dr! i really have personal space issues so the idea of dr pokeing me about freaks me out!!!! i will go though i know its best to get it sorted xxxxx
  • Options
    When I went to the doctors there was very limited poking!! She just had a quick look at the red patch, took my temperature and wrote a prescription. There is however a lot of poking involved in draining an abcess so it is the lesser of two evils lol
    Good luck!
    xx