Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Medela swing question

Hi ladies

I took the plunge yesterday an invested in a medela swing, have only used it twice but so far impressed.....

Only question is how does anyone else clean theirs? It says on the instructions to sterilise once a day and just wash up after every use, but I'm feeling very wary of not sterilising it between uses??

What does anyone else do?

Shanee and Ryan 3weeks 5days

Replies

• Options
    I just rinse it after each use, then give it a thorough wash and sterilisation once a day xx
  • Options
    Thanks, probably a silly question but do you do that with the bottle too or are you storing/using the medela bottle?
  • Options
    Hiya, iv been using mine for 12months now!
    I have only totally disassembled and sterilized it when if remember really monthly i would say,if that tbh,ok maybe under 6months more but after rarely.
    Between times i hold the whole funnel bit under hot hot running water for a minute or so shake dry and wrap it in kitchen roll.
    inbetween maybe once a week i pull the funnel of and put my bottle brush over and through it.
    I am happy to report my DS has been fine throughout, I got this advise from hospital when DS was born as I was expressing in there too.
    Breastmilk is wonderfull and full of white germ busting blood cells so please dont worry too much over sterilizing breastfeeding equiptment,i only totally sterilize teats, in france and other european parts the advice for breastfeding mothers who express to not sterilize anything,we how ever take all our sterilizing advice from the formula feeders as that goes bad quickly were as breastmilk can be left out at room temp for 6 hrs with no ill effects and refridgerated for 6-8 days (below 5 fridge temp)its magic stuff! x

[Modified by: M + K on May 25, 2010 11:30 AM]

• Options
    I do the same with the bottles now and have been doing so since my baby was about 3 months. Before then we used to use the bottles to store and feed from, so they were always sterilised xx
  • Options
    Thsnks ladies, think if I was it thoroughly after each use then rinse with boiling water and do the daily sterilise as recommended x