Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Can you ever stop using breast pads?

Hey ladies,

was just wondering if you need to wear breast pads the whole time you are breast feeding?
I hate them cos they show through tops and make my boobs look strange, and they aren't very attractive for oh to look at lol!! Do your boobs ever stop leaking when they are used to producing the right amount of milk or will I have to use pads until I stop breast feeding?

I tried not wearing them once as they never seemed wet when I changed them, but I leaked everywhere and haven't tried again!!

Faith.xxx

Replies

• Options
    I used them for the first 4 months or so, but carried on breast feeding until my daughter was 8 1/2 months old. I think it depends on the person and how much milk you're producing. I never had a problem at night because I always expressed just before bed.
  • Options
    I am the opposite and although I haven't leaked since early on am still wearing them and my lo is nearly 18 months!! It's not that I like them and I agree with them making you look odd through your bra but my nipples are very sensitive and I don't like them rubbing on my bra whilst I am still feeding.
    To answer your question though you shouldn't have to wear them for ever - maybe you should try again without and see if you can do without them now xx
  • Options
    At risk of sounding like I'm boasting, my boobs never leak at all. I wore breast-pads at the start just because I thought I should, but stopped weeks ago as I just didn't need them. I'm no expert as I have asked this question to lots of people and have never found an answer so it looks to me that everyone must just be different. I hope you don't have to wear them for much longer Faith!

Cat x
  • Options
    Thanks girls, well I guess everyone is different then! Think I will try not wearing them in the day, but think I still need to at night as I get really full and painful then!xxx
  • Options
    I haven't leaked for weeks now either. Still seem to have enough milk at the moment,but I never get that full feeling anymore, not even when I give lo a bottle instead, but then he does still feed every 2 hours or so during the day!

(your post re being a page 3 girl on the bfing hot potato debate made me laugh - I knew you looked too glamorous in your pic for a reason!!)xx
  • Options
    Have you tried expressing at bedtime when you feel full and sore? If I ever feel like that I just express and freeze it, which then comes in handy if i'm going out or anything so Jack's still getting my milk rather than formula (not that there's anything wrong with ff, just my opinion!)

xx
  • Options
    Kyra's just over 3 months and I've notice my breast pads are now dry throughout the day so my boobs must be settling down now and producing just the right amount of milk. They don't leak at night either - which is a relief, as sick of waking up soaking wet!

Like you I'm gona try going a day without wearing pads and see what happens...
  • Options
    I wish I did feel full in the evenings but Summer is constantly attatched all evening lol, so thats when I'm most empty!! Actually last night I tried getting her into a routine for the first time, she went to bed at 7.30, woke at 8.30 so I fed her again, then she went through till 2.30 and then to 6.30 when we get up for school anyway so was very proud of her!! Although she only woke at 8.30 because bloody virgin media rang!!!!!!! Don't know why I didn't try a routine earlier!!!

Maybe I will express in the mornings as this is when my boobs are really big and sore cos they are soooo full, that is if I get time what with getting my 4 year old ready for school lol.

As well as the routine, we also had another break through today, Summer took a bottle for the first time (she has refused till now) and at the same time I managed to express 4 ozs which is the same amount she took, yay!

Lol Karen, I only did it once, entered page 3 idol for a laugh last year and got to final 24 - sooo funny! Had people I hadn't seen for years ringing me and asking if it was me as I was very shy at school!

Right, I'm gonna try wearing no breast pads tomorrow, really hope I don't turn up at school with big wet patches, wish me luck ladies!!!!xxx
  • Options
    Grace is 4 1/2 mths now and i can ggo between feeds without wearing pads but each time i feed her i have a really strong let down which makes my opposite breast leak so i have to wear them for feeding her also at night they get very full and still leak loads,suppose its cuz she sleeps through but i do feed her at 11pm when i go to bed so cnt express b4 bed so dnt think i have a solution for that!
  • Options
    I've stopped wearing them most of the time. I can now feel my boobs letting down so sometimes I'll pop them in then to stop leaks. I always carry a pair of breast pads in the changing bag so I have them to hand if needed. My boobs always leak first thing in the morning - my boobs are quite full in the morning and I only have to look at my baby or hear him grizzle for the milk to start pouring out! First thing I do in the morning is change his nappy - I go to change him dry and come back with two big wet patches! so now I tend to put the breastpads in my vest as soon as I wake up. Once he's fed from both boobs I take them out for the rest of the day. If I go out without baby and know that my boobs will get full whilst I'm gone I wear pads.

I have some washable breastpads which are very comfy and I dont feel very wasteful if I only have them in for ten minutes.