Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How many bfeeds at 6 1/2 months?

Hi all,

Was just wondering how many bfeeds your lo's have?
Keira is 6 1/2 months and is completly bf and is now on 3 meals a day. She has also started on a little finger food. Like toast in the morning and also likes chomping on a baby rusk.

She still doesn't always go through the night. Some nights she does but not always. Most mornings she wakes anything from 5.30am (20 to 30mins) where she will have a feed then fall back to sleep and has another feed about 7ish/7.30am again 20 to 30 mins.

She then has porridge or weetabix with cows milk (although prefers porridge) and maybe a bit of toast.
If we stay in during the morning she may have a bf about 11am but like today we went out this morning and didn't have one. She has her dinner between 12 and 1pm with a yoghurt, and then a bf in the afternoon. Her tea and then her bedtime feed about 6.30pm.

I have recently knocked her afternoon bf on the head and replaced it with fm which means she is only having 2 bfeeds from me. Do you think this is enough?
She seems happy and content.

Feel a bit sad knocking one on the head and now down to two bfeeds a day. But will be going back to work for oh one afternoon a week soon and mil is looking after her.

Any advice would be helpful? Thanks :\)

Replies

• Options
    Personally I would try and get at least 4 milk feeds into her as she should be getting the majority of her calories from milk not food at this age. I would give formula or EBM at 11am even if you are out. However if she is still gaining weight I wouldn't worry too much.

H xx
  • Options
    if shes gaining weight and is happy and content then go with her lead hun.Alot of babies start dropping feeds theirselves once they have started on solids and i think people worry too much about how much milk they r getting! if shes hungry shel let you know.I worried when my daughter was this age as she dropped down to 3 feeds a day but they say feed on demand and thats exactly what iv done.Well done you should be very proud xxx
  • Options
    Hi.
    My little one is 6 1/2 months and I currently give him 4 bf's per day. He is on 3 meals a day. I give him an early morning feed when he wakes about 6am, one about 11ish, one in the afternoon then bedtime bf.I pretty much follow his lead however and think he's gradually been weaning off me for a while. I'm doing the same as you and have just started to replace one of these feeds with fm (started with the mid morning feed).
    It sounds to me like your little one is happy. Dont worry about not putting on weight how they have done before as I've been told about this age they reduce the weight gain a lot and pretty much level off (especially as they're getting more mobile).
    You'll know your lo's appetite the best and I'm sure she'd let you know if she wanted more!
    It is sad reducing the feeds, I'm really going to miss it. Well done and good luck image
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.

I have decided today to keep bfeeding up but have dropped her bedtime feed for a formula bottle, didn't want to, but she feeds from me from about 6.30pm to anything between 7.30 and 8pm! This is ok and i ususally sit on my bed with lights low and feed her in quiet but with two other children i'm missing out on their bathtime and they are beginning to play up to this. I can't split myself in two. So tonight i gave her a bottle. It took a while to give it to her. My oh tried feeding her but gave up! She was more interested on biting the teat!! I got 5oz in her it was a 7oz bottle.

I'm also giving her a bottle in the afternoon. I started this at the weekend. She takes this one. I will continue to bf her on demand basically until she tells me otherwise. During the day she only tends to feed for about 15/20mins when she wants a feed.
    Basically i'm not ready to give it up but on the same hand feel exhausted all the time so hopefully by doing it this way it frees me up a bit.
    Feel much happier about the whole feeding again now.
    Thanks for the advice as well, it has helped.