Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breastfeeding worries

Hi all.
I'm new to the site, and 5 weeks pregnant with my third baby. I know its a bit premature but i am having some concerns about breastfeeding! I tried to feed both my boys, who are now 6 and 3, but did not last long, mainly because i didnt have enough willpower to keep at it when it got tough! I stopped at about 6 weeks with my oldest, and 3 weeks with my youngest. I do desperately want to successfully breastfeed this little one for at least 6 months, but am already so worried that i'll struggle, especially if i have to get the older kids to school at set times etc, which would make feeding on demand difficult. Is there any advice you can think of to make it easier? I know it sounds silly, and is probably hormones, but i already get quite tearful when i think about it, i just really really want to do well this time around!!
Sorry for long post :roll:

Replies

• Options
    hi hun,congratulations on your pregnancy!Just wanna say stay positive and you can do it!I have a 3 yr old and a 4 mth old who is exclusively breastfed.Its difficult in the early days when they are constantly feeding but so worth it and by 6 weeks grace settled dwn and by 9 weeks was sleeping through the night and going 3 hrly between feeds.You managed 6 weeks before and id say thats the hardest time so well done!!we are all here if you need to chat,i dnt think id have got through the early days without these wonderful ladies for advice!!hanna n baby grace xx
  • Options
    Thank you! I am going to try to stop stressing about it, i have planned to buy a freedom sling from ebay (have you seen these?) and pop the baby in there as much as possible so i can then feed on demand regardless of where i am and what i'm doing. I used to feel awkward breastfeeding in public because people would stare, but you know what, i've decided its their problem not mine, i am only doing whats natural after all!
    Thank you for the reply, i am feeling much more positive x
  • Options
    Hi
    It is a worry isn't it.I was the same and I only had 1 older child to think of.I just thought I would never manage school runs etc.. but you just do in the end.

Plus sides of b/f are you have a free hand to help with book reading ,getting the other children dressed and even after a little while of breastfeeding you can manage to have 2 free hands- which you wouldn't have if you were holding a bottle!

I only managed to feed my 1st for a few days but I am still feeding my dd who is 14 months old!!!.I thought I would only manage a few days but I just kept going with it.
    I won't lie it is hard going sometimes - but then having a new baby is hard work anyway.
    I also found my lo went for a lovely sleep in her pushchair on the way to school and when I got home I had an hours peace- bliss!!!! image

Good luck with whatever method you manage to feed you baby.Remember that it may just not work out and not to beat yourself up about it - I think us mums are 2 hard on ourselves and having a baby can be one long guilt trip. :roll:
  • Options
    hi there lynz before you look on ebay for a freedom sling i have one if you want to buy it at a cheaper price?sorry if im being cheeky here but i was gonna stick it on ebay anyway!i got it from somebody off ebay brand new and i have never used it,its black so suitable for any sex and has the dvd with it to show you how to use it.I got it as we were planning to go abroad and i thought it would be alot easier than taking the big pram but we never ended up going,hanna n grace xxx
  • Options
    i have a freedom sling and they are fab! i would recommend one to any one, you really can bf hands free. i have used mine loads, freya went through a faze of hating the pushchair so i took her every where in it, istill use it every day for walking the dog ect. it is also very discreet when you are feeding no one will be able to see any thing.
    the best advice i can give is just to stick at it. the hard bit doesnt last long and then it is so easy and rewarding. good luck. x
  • Options
    Hollysmum+bump, thank you so much, but my friend has literally just left, and she gave me hers! She never ended up using it as she decided not to bf after all and always has her little one in the pram. Thank you all for the encouragement, i really am determined to make it work this time round!