Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Help needed please

Hi all

Lyla is nearly a week old now and I'm having trouble getting her to stay awake long enough to have a decent length feed. Typically, she'll feed for about 10 mins and then just fall asleep on me. Sometimes I can wake her by changing her nappy half way through a feed, and then she might feed for another 10 mins if I'm lucky. We often have to wake her to feed as well.

The trouble is, she's lost nearly 10% of her birth weight already, and if she loses any more she may have to be admitted to hospital, which I'm obviously keen to avoid. I know there isn't a problem with my milk supply - I have plenty. So I really need ideas as to how best to make sure she gets long enough at the breast to give her what she needs.

Any help appreciated, thank you.

Replies

• Options
    Hi you could try switch nursing and breast compressions. The first is when each time Lyla falls asleep you take her off the breast and switch her to the other side. You can do this as often as you need to during a feed which should get her to feed better. With the compressions, hold your breast whilst feeding and gently squeeze it every now and then to help with the milk flow (but be careful not to hold too tight or in the same place for too long otherwise you could get mastitis due to blocking your milk).
    All of my 3 lost over 10% of their birth weight before they eventually picked up and are all healthy children back were they were born all on the 91st centile! What I had to do with them was express (particularly with the switch nursing as they get more of the foremilk) and top them up with expressed milk for some feeds and for a week or so to help them gain weight. We cup fed them so that they didn't get used to a teat and they all took it really well. Hope that helps xx
  • Options
    just wanted to say that it is normal for babies to loose weight before starting to gain it.Like args children mine were also born on the 91st centile and have continued on it after the initial drop.It is quite common for babies of your dds age to fall asleep whilst feeding and i toink you are doing the right thing trying to wake her to feed longer.Does she seem settled after a feed?some babies dnt take long to feed and 10 mins can be long enough for some so she may be getting more milk than you think xxx
  • Options
    My daughter used to do that as well. The mws suggested taking off a layer of her clothes, so that we fed her in just a vest. They're more likely to stay awake if they're a little cooler. It did help us a bit, and also the nappy changing as you say. It is dificult at first, but it shouldn't last for too long, she should gradually stay awake for longer.
  • Options
    Hey,

I was told to tickle my lo's feet as it stimulates the suckle relex! This worked with my lo even when she looked like she was asleep.

In the evening to get her to feed more to help her sleep longer, I was advised to feed her in her nappy as a more uncomfortable baby would feed for longer - it was mid July though....ut it dd work. I'd feed her in daytime clothes, then strip her off, feed her, change nappy, feed her, get her dressed again amd feed her. Maybe try that once or twice a day?

Also, I was told to not cuddle her while she was feeding and particulary not hold her at the back of her head as it makes them feel like they're still in the womb amd therefore sleepy. Have you tried feeding laying down? As it easier not to cuddle them then too.

Good luck! Well done for persisting with the breastfeeding.

Lisa
  • Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm going to give all those things a try, and hopefully Lyla will be gaining weight in no time.

Loopy Loo - I can't feed on my side at the moment, as I had a section and lying on my side isn't at all comfortable - maybe once I've healed!
  • Options
    Fingers crossed that she'll be gaining wait asap. Let us know!

A friend of mine had her lo 3 weeks before me and had a similar problem to you, she's still much lighter than Louise but to look at them you'd never know!
  • Options
    Just a couple of other thoughts......

When you change her to wake her up - do you then feed her frm the same side or the other side? The longer she feeds from one side, the fattier the milk gets so it could be worth trying her back on the same breast if your not doing that already. And then offer the other even if she looks very sleepy - I find winding Louise and switching sides helps in the evening when she is very sleepy.

I'm uncertain how much it can help but apparently what you eat could make your milk fattier too, I've heard of people being advised to drink full fat milk etc to help thier lo put on more weight.
  • Options
    I had a very sleepy lo in the first week. he did lose too much weight and had to be admitted (12%). blowing on the face helped, and daddy's cold hands on his face, back or legs. We also did the nappy change and clothes strip where nreeded. Keep on with it and do all you can. Expressing can help - allowing you to top lo up.

It will get easier.Stick at it is you can.
  • Options
    Hi, i have also been told not to make baby get too comfy, take legs out of sleep suit or take a layer off. I also agree with Loopy Loo, it better to feed from the same breast as all the calories are in the hind milk and will help baby gain weight, then swap breast when the first one is "complete" otherwise baby only gets the fore milk which is very watery.

Nat x
  • Options
    Thanks again for all your advice. I am putting Lyla back on the same breast after we've changed her. It's very rare that she needs the other side as well at the moment.

We've tried stripping her and tickling her feet, which does seem to help. We're also now waking her every two hours for a feed during the day, to try and keep her topped up. She's started feeding for a good 1/2 hour for her last feed before bed, and then will often feed for 1/2 hour for her night feeds.

The good news is that she's started gaining weight - she's not quite back up to her birth weight yet, but it's going in the right direction.

Thanks for your support x
  • Options
    Thanks again for all your advice. I am putting Lyla back on the same breast after we've changed her. It's very rare that she needs the other side as well at the moment.

We've tried stripping her and tickling her feet, which does seem to help. We're also now waking her every two hours for a feed during the day, to try and keep her topped up. She's started feeding for a good 1/2 hour for her last feed before bed, and then will often feed for 1/2 hour for her night feeds.

The good news is that she's started gaining weight - she's not quite back up to her birth weight yet, but it's going in the right direction.

Thanks for your support x
  • Options
    Thats great to hear! Glad things are going in the right direction now!