Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I think this is it for me :(

I'm so gutted, but I can't think of a way round it - I think the time is almost here when I'll have to give up BFing :cry:

I'm going back to work on June 6th, Jak will be almost 7 months then. I'll have to drop him off at my dad's place by about 7:15am, and I won't be able to fetch him again until 5:30pm at the earliest. I've tried to get my head around how I'll manage to feed/express within the time frame I've got, and it'll leave me getting up at about 5am so I can get ready for work, then waking him at 6am for a feed so I can have him ready to leave the house, not to mention finding time in my day at work (I'm a teacher) to express for him three times - and express full feeds at that - so he's got milk for the following day. It's just not going to be logistically possible, and I'm so so upset I think I'm going to have to give him formula.

I know formula's fine, I just feel like I'm failing him because I'm abandoning him all day every day and not feeding him myself. Virtual slap, please, or a way round the problem!

:cry:

Replies

• Options
    hey emily,

i'm in a similar situation , however i'm not going back until september and my lo will be nearly 7 months.

don't feel bad it is good that you have come this far because it isn't easy and bf for this long has already given lo the very very best start.

in terms of solutions, i have been freezing bm, (can be frozen for 6 months) so i have some bm for lo when go back to work, but i know there won't be much, i don't have time to express now let alone when go back to work. we only have 25 min breaks and i'll want to use my frees to do loads of work so have evenings and weekends free. i have no doubt that lo will have to be mixed fed.

another thing my hv said a while ago is not to stress about going back to work and bf as by then he will be having other foods. she said i could bf in morn and then at night?? how much milk do they need at this age?? she mentioned that lo could have other dairy products and water along with his food?? i'm not sure on this as i haven't looked into weaning properly yet. and don't know if he would need more milk, but at least if i can bf in morn and at night that is better than nothing, but then what happens during day?? if can't express, does your suplly naturally decrease and then still have enough for morn and night?? confusing.

any way they are the two solutions, freezing now so have some supply, and the fact my hv said about only needing the two feeds as other foods will be introduced. However if this do not work and formula is used it's not he end of the world and don't feel guilty for leaving lo as you are providing the best upbringing for him and i only know one mum who hasn't had to go back to work, it's just what happens these days, because there isn't anyother options. i'm still relying on a lottery win lol.

xx

• Options
    Hi Emily, I'm sorry you're feeling bad about this. Going back to work has been weighing heavily on my mind recently too and I did a visit at a local nursery today for the first time to check it out. I'm not going back until October but it all feels too real. Sob!

Hugo will be 10 months by then and I'm hoping that I can still give him a morning and evening BM feed still (never thought I'd say that as I haven't really enjoyed the BF experience and have been counting down to the time when I can stop!). Will you still be able to give a morning and evening feed too? I'm not going to faff around expressing for the others as I figure that once they're on to solids, and therefore getting nutrition from other sources, it's not so important to solely breastfeed. Just my opinion by the way!

Anyway, I know you've been struggling lately and thinking about all this must be adding to the stress, but don't feel like you're failing him. You've been completely selfless since the day he was born (and for the 9 months before that!) and I bet you're a fantastic mummy. I think we as mothers set milestones or goals in our own minds and then beat ourselves up if we don't reach them. You have given Jak the best start in life and he is going to grow up all the better for it.

Now, consider the virtual slap administered!

P.
  • Options
    Could you still give him the bedtime feed and give formula for the others? My son only had a bedtime breastfeed for a couple of months and it didn't affect my supply, as it 'knows' you'll only want that feed. I stopped breastfeeding to return to work too, and I told myself that time spent expressing and worrying about it etc would be better spent with my son. At 7 months he was only on three feeds a day, so you might find Jak cuts down his feeds soon so you're not having to give much formula. If you give formula for the morning feed would he wait for that until he's at your Dad's? If not, why not do the morning breastfeed too? Mine had his morning milk after breakfast so I couldn't fit it in before I left.
    I actually stopped completely just before returning to work, because I worked with chemicals that could've passed into my milk - I know the employer has to make concessions for breastfeeding mothers but I didn't trust my boss to identify the risks properly - but when I look back now I sometimes wish I;d pushed it and kept up that bedtime breastfeed. I think it'll help you feel a bit more like it's the best of both worlds - I know from your other posts you have very good reasons for going back now rather than later!
  • Options
    Thanks girls.

Peeptoe - you're so right about the goal-setting, I think formula's a great choice for some mummies but I set myself the goal of 6 months and no formula, but I've had to move the posts, so to speak, because I wasn't originally going to go back until Jak was 11 months.

Sunflower - I keep reminding myself it's best to go back now!image I think you're right, I could still give the bedtime feed. As we haven't officially started weaning yet, I have no idea how quickly he'll drop feeds - is it the same in general for all babies, or is it something that's very dependent on the individual lo?
    clraustin - thank you hun, I definitely agree that he's had the best start he could have had, it's easy to forget that!

It's a time issue for the morning feed - there's no way I'd fit it in and still get ready for work and be there on time. I hate to think I haven't got time for Jak, but hubby could feed him while I get ready - it takes me longer! Plus he's earnt his turn at feeding Jak after all this time image

Thanks again for the advice, I just so wanted to be one of those mums that never needs to go onto formula, but I can't physically do everything and I have to come to terms with it. I think it's a natural mummy state of mind though isn't it, trying to do everything!

Em x x x
  • Options
    hey just wanted to add, spoke to my hv yest as was at my post natal group. i mentioned going back to work and bf and not having the time to express etc.

she said that you can use cows milk in their cereal which i didn't know, and also in things like mashed potatoe, so they can get milk in that way too. I said that i was freezing milk now and she said you can mix bm and formula together so the supply would last longer. that makes me feel better that he will be getting some of my milk still. she also said that if you still bf morn and evening your supply will sort it self out relatively quickly, but she said may be uncomfortable to start with. i know will def be able to do the evening feed but not sure on morn as don't know what time lo will be waking as still a long way off.

you maybe lucky in that your lo only wants three bottles, and also formula will only have to be used for a few months then they can have cows milk!!!

hope your feeling a bit better about the situation
  • Options
    Thanks hun.

I think I am feeling better about it actually. I am gutted I can't seem to express much, as I used to get 5oz in the morning and about 3oz in the afternoon, so had the ability to get quite a nice stash going in the freezer. Since we went away over Easter I can barely get 2oz - that's what I managed this morning. I'm going to make the most of the next month while I still have ds all to myself for feeds!