Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Some questions...

HI all,

My baby boy is just over 3wks now. He was 6wks early and weighed 4lb 9oz. He is now 5lb 3oz so doing well.

He had 1 week in SCBU after being discharged by the hospital I delievered in, as he became very jaundiced and lost alot of weight.

I had to give formula when he was born as I had very little support to get him latched and being so small they wanted to get some milk in. I have been expressing since day 2 and get 120ml in 5mins so I know there is alot of milk there! He is now breastfeeding on demand which is now anything from every 1.5hrs to every 4hrs. He is really good on the boob now but I have a couple of questions-

1) I dont seem to be able to feed him very discretely ?sp. Maybe its becasue he is so little and I am quite big up top? Will this get better? I am happy to feed in public but at the moment am having to get whole boob out which im sure people dont really want to see!

2) The last day or so he has been really struggling with wind, pulling his legs up and grunting/growling really badly. I am going to try some fennell tea but any other ideas?

There was something else but my Mummy brain has lost it!

Any help would be much appreciated image

Replies

• Options
    1) - have you tried layering tops so u can lift one up and one down so that mmuch isnt exposed. as he grows his head will cover up most of your boob.
    2) have you tried gripe water? worked wonders with my l.o. i syringed him 2.5ml before feed and 2.5ml half way through. It really helped him with his winding after feeds
    hth
    cara x
  • Options
    he is still only little and you've both only had a short time to get the hang of feeding, i used to have to get my whole boob out for ages until i got the hang of it. I used to wear two tops, one vest with slits on the outer side of each boob and another top over so i could lift top up, unclip feeding bra and only part of the boob shows which baby's head covers anyway, bit hit and miss at first but you'll get the hang of it.

i used Infacol which worked ok for wind and you can use this from 0 months the gripe water in our chemist was from 1 or 2 months but i've heard it is very good
  • Options
    gripe water can be used from a month old and is totally from natural products
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Some good ideas there.

Will try some gripe water when he turns 1mth on Sunday.
  • Options
    I used infacol too, it tastes of orange and Zach liked the taste so made life easier. It defintely helps!
  • Options
    also you could try dill as tjis is meant to disperse wind,i just soak dill seeds with fennel seeds in hot water in a thermos as it takes a while to brew xxx