Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My baby dribbles/leaks milk when bottle feeding - any advice

My little girl has just turned 5 months and we use Tommy Tippee size two teats. She loves her milk but seems to have problems drinking it as her bib is saturated at the end of a feed and alot comes out of her mouth. It's almost as though she isn't swallowing quick enough. We were using size 1 but I've been told by HV that at her age she should be on size 2 as hard sucking can damage her teeth underneath.

I take it isn't normal for this much milk to leak from the side of her mouth?

Do you think I should try some variflow?

Any advice or in similar situation?

Click CLick

Replies

• Options
    hi, sounds like the flow is far too fast for ur lo, and tbh i never heard that about teats, if a baby is breast fed then the flow is slower and baby has to work harder and thats not bad for their mouths. i mixfed ds and he was on size 1 teats until i stopped at 7 months old as when we tried a size 2 he got annoyed tha my milk wasn't as fast so had to go back to the size 1 and no one evr mentioned that to me. i found variflow very annoying, they do still flow quite fats and the teats have a tendancy to split, i wld go back to the size 1 and in the mean time speak to a dentist or orthodentist and see what they say about the to hard sucking thing. but she shldn't be loosing loads of milk outb the sideif the flow is right for her. xx
  • Options
    hi
    I actually found opposite with my dd, if the teat is to small she really dribbles the milk out alot where she is concentrating on sucking so hard to get the milk she dnt get time to swallow, she is now on size 3 teats and only time she dribbles is if she is really tired.

Hope this helps.
    Sarah xx