Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

bottles left on side??

hey just a quicky! for the ladies who make up their bottles of water and leave on the side to use when needed, how long can you leave them on the side for before you have to throw them. and does the powder mix ok at room temp? i currently store them in the fridge but its a pain havin to heat them as my little one doesnt giv any warning when hungry!! thanks in advance x

Replies

• Options
    Hiya

I do this and I only make up 6 bottles as that is what Toby has in one day, so generally they are not left more than 24hrs which is what I was told not to do. I mix the powder in with his milk before using a bottle warmer to heat as I do find the powder doesn't milk that great at room temp. and the more you shake, the more air bubbles go in the bottle causing LO to get more wind.

It works ok for us!

Sometimes I heat up the water first too, it depends on my mood LOL!!!

When I am out, I discard about an ozs of water and top it up with hot water from a thermos so its at drinking temp and also a good temp to mix the powder.

HTH, Joo
    xxx
  • Options
    I am with Joo - I only make up the number needed for the next day so no longer than 24 hours! I have not actually been told but personally I wouldn't want to leave it longer than that!

I gind it mixes ok at room temp but better if slightly warm! I too have added an extra oz of water at feeding time just to help it mix better image
  • Options
    I think it depends on preferance, i have 7 bottles and make all 7 up with cooled boiled water. Just in case i dont get round to sterilising one day. jack only has 5 feeds a day so always has 2 left over and i use them next.

Ive never heated jacks bottles he just has them as whatever temperture they are when he wants them and is fine with it, although my friends baby wont take his milk if it isnt warm. I find the powder mixes fine at room temp too.

xxx
  • Options
    hi ya, i know it is easy however you need to make bottles fresh as you need them, doing this will ensure your baby won't get ill.
  • Options
    My baby is over 3 months old and has been absolutely fine! My HV also said the way I am doing it is ok....
  • Options
    ive recenly found out that makin bottles up with formula and storing in the fridge for 24 hrs has caused 50 babies worldwide to be ill and nearlly all of these were premature so im pretty sure leavin the water on the side and addin formula later is gona do no harm. i phoned cow n gate and they said this way is fine as the're still bein made fresh its just the water bein left and thats been pre boiled anyway.
  • Options
    the water is fine the powder is not safe to be left in the water, i have just had a baby and the midwife told me on new guide lines to bottle making. you should make bottles fresh there is my advice use it however you like.
  • Options
    funnily we've all just had babies! thats what everyones sayin, we dont add the powder untill the bottle is needed as its the powder that carrys the bacteria. all my midwives and health vivitors hav said its fine.
  • Options
    We've done that since Dex was born, they are used within about 34 hours! as I do them in two shifts during the day one at morning and one set at night so there are normally around 7/8 bottle done + two sterilised empties for the cartons when we go out.

I leave them out at room temp and add powder when needed. Dex will drink them at any temp so I never heat them up!
  • Options
    i do the same as clarkie. lolah has 4 bottles but i make 6 up jus incase then i will use the other 2 first the nxt morning, if that makes sense. image xxx
  • Options
    To my logic, it would be better to mix the powder with the water when it is hot (70 degrees) and then cool so that the water has killed off any bacteria in the powder - is there a reason why you ladies let the water cool and then add the powder? I still make the feeds up fresh or use cartons but it would be easier & cheaper to make up powder bottles in advance. thanks xxx
  • Options
    We let hte water cool as we are not using it straight away! We are using it within 24 hours! You can't add the powder that far in advance! It just saves time making it fresh at each feed and having to wait for it cool when you have a screaming baby lol image

Lol Mrsloft24 - my sentiments exactly! I think the fact I put my lo is 3months old showed I have not long had a baby!!

[Modified by: immense on August 09, 2009 02:19 PM]

• Options
    I do the same, pour water into bottles for the day, leave on the side then add the powder when needed. Riley will have it at room temp. so I don't need to heat it up which is easy when we're out.

I used to make the bottles in advance and store in the fridge when he was having colief and it was fine, That's what they always used to do anyway so I can't see it doing any harm.

xxx
  • Options
    its funny how we all get given different advice. I usually make all ciaras bottles fresh when shes ready for them, but im mix feeding so i normally make a bottle, and then breastfeed her while its cooling, then she has the bottle.(she doent get enough from me alone thats why she also has a bottle) if we are going out i put the water into her bottle and keep it in the thermal pocket of the changing bag, after about 2 n a half hours its still warm but not too hot...so i then mix the formula and give it to her. shes sticking well to 3 hourly feeds so i know when i need to get the next one ready.

My parents always made up the bottle for the whole day/night in advance and it didnt do myself or my siblings any harm. I think you just have to do what works best for you and yours.

xx
  • Options
    I may be being thick, but I don't get how the link above relates to this topic? It is about feeds made up immediately or in advance? We aren't making them in advance, just putting the water in the bottles?