Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

In need of advice

Slowly we switched over from breast to bottlefeeding with one breastfeed in the morning. This problem was already there when breastfeeding, but seems to be getting worse. It is about Michael, he is 19 weeks old and has been mainly breastfed and weighs at the moment 14lbs9. He is now on normal aptamil for most of his feeds.

First of all. He is drinking part of his bottle and has enough. Than he brings a little bit of milk up if you burp him, which he has always done and it is only a mouthfull or something like that. Than whatever you do an hour or even 2 hours later he brings up more milk. He is not bringing up everything, they are bigger amounts than what he brings up just after his feed, but not that much. He does not seem in discomfert, but I find it quite worrying. He does it about 2 or 3 times between feeds and it impossible to tell when or how or where. I can carry him around in his baby carrier for about an hour and all of the sudden it comes out. Or he is in his car seat, his bouncy chair, sitting on my lap, looking over my shoulder. It does not help if I keep him still for a while after a feed, because he does not want to sit still.

Is there anything I can do to stop this? I know it sounds silly, because he is not in pain or anything, but he needs 4 sets of cloths and so do I. Also the floor, the bedding and such all get there turns. And there is obvious something not right. He started doing it for the last , maybe 4 weeks.

The health visitor (helpfull as always) said he was feeding to often (when breastfed he was feeding roughly every 2 hours) but when I leave it to him he still does not show a sign of hunger after 4.5 hours. :O And even than he takes only 5oz, maybe 6oz at a push, of which atleast 1 oz comes back out. If I feed him roughly every 4 hours he goes nicely, but wakes up during the night again hungry. (he was sleeping through brilliantly)

I don't know what to do anymore? He drinks roughly about 22oz of formula and has a good breastfeed in the morning, which pribably would count for about 5 or even more oz. Is this enough? He only gained about 9oz in 3 weeks, whilst normally he would have put that on in a week. What can I do?

Replies

• Options
    Without sounding patronising, do you wind him well? Toby did this a lot because we hadn't winded him enough - basically a big air bubble just pushed all his milk back up! This is what the HV told us it was! Toby mainly did it when we changed him on teat size, it was just when he was getting used to it. He rarely does it anymore but he doesn't seem to need winding as much these days.
    Sorry, that's the only thing I thought of!
    Good luck xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Yep, my girls do this and it's usually when I can't get all their wind up. Often I hear a little burp (you know the kind that hits the back of your throat but doesn't make a big belching sound!) and a little bit of milk comes back.
  • Options
    Does not come out with a burp. We can burp him for up to half an hour and he still brings it back after an hour. :S It might be some wind, but than it does not come out with a burp.

He is on size 2 teats and has been for the last 2 months. It seems to be that he is spilling a bit of milk, but with size 1 he seems to fall asleep halfway through and no way of waking him up. image

He is on dr Brown bottles btw. He is not taking tommy tippee at all, he refuses to drink from those. Avent I am not even started about, the milk ends up more on his cloths than in his tummy. (all teat sizes) We had a breastflow bottle which seem to be doing the trick, but after 5 days Michael decided he did not drink out of that one again. We tried a Dulifex bottle, which again was fine for a few days and than he pushed it out of his mouth straight away. Dr Browns seem the only ones which he likes and drinks from.

We have tried winding him over our shoulder, which he hates. To sit him on our lap and gently rub his back, which he likes and he brings up some burps and some milk. But like I said there are times I am doing that for up to almost half an hour and than I kinda have the idea he is fine. (he seems fine, he normally has a blue top lip when he has wind issues and he doesn't, not even just before he brings back everything) So he either goes back in his bouncy chair, or we go out to do something.

We are gonna try the easy digest aptamil, he seems to be better on his bottle with a bit of rice in it, which is a thicker liquid. That is the only bottle during the day he is not bringing anything up. He might be better on the easy digest.
  • Options
    I found Aptamil made my daughter really sicky, after and in between feeds. Have a friend who found the same. Switched to SMA Gold. x
  • Options
    Hi, when I moved Rawdon onto formula he projectile vomited Aptimil so I started to use C&G. Some bb's just don't get on with some formulas.
    xxx
    http://bf.lilypie.com/qYRe0/.png

http://lb3f.lilypie.com/K8A2p1.png

• Options
    Sorry gatecrashing as Barney is bfed, but he was exactly the same!! It didn't matter how much he was winded he was sick at random all day, without ever seeming to be uncomfortable. After investigating things like reflux we eventually put it down to being a pig who didn't know when to stop eating, he was litterely overflowing. He did grow out of it from about 20 weeks when we started solids, so I think if you can just go with the flow you should be past the worst, you have my sympathy though, at his worst Barney was running out of muslins every other day, and we had about 30 :lol:
    xx
  • Options
    I would not mind changing formula, but he has this formula for about 8 weeks now and only had this problem since he is having more bottles. He never has the problem over night and also not seem to have the problem during the mornings either. If it would be the formula, it should be allways. We also have the same problem with defrosted breastmilk that we still had and are feeding him.

Today seem to be better, we bought the easy digest version of aptamil and giving it to him with a Y cut teat. He seems to be handling it better than with a number 2 (to slow) or a number 3 (to fast) Two times today he kept on drinking at which point I actually made him stop drinking and he brought a whole lot of. (He was at the point of taking almost 8 oz whilst normally he would be satisfied after 5)

I think he might indeed take more milk than he actually wants or needs. he does seem better on the comfert milk though, so we keep him on that for the rest of the week and see if that makes any difference.

Is it btw good enough that he has about 22 oz of formula + one breastfeed and he is weighing about 14.5lbs.(so according to the tin he needs to have between 30-35) I would not be so worried if he was having about 25 oz and a breastfeed, but he just does not seem to want to take anymore than 20-22 oz a day.