Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How to up feed/sleep longer advice needed plz

Evening,
My LO Sara, is 4wks old and we've recently started bottle feeding, she has taken to it well and is in quite a nice routine, going basically 3hrs between feeds during the day, usually starting the day with a 6.30am feed and last feed at night at 10pm-ish, she'll then sleep til 3am.

My querey is that she pretty much only takes 3 full ozs each feed, according to the box (I know its not written in stone) she should be taking 4ozs upping to 5 over the next few weeks. so...how do I get her to take more and go for 4 hrs between feeds??? I usually make up 4oz in a bottle in the hope that she'll take all 4! have tried to encourage her to take a little more but she really won't and screams if I do! I feel that is she took more she might go longer between feeds.

Also, at the 3am feed she sometimes only takes 2oz - almost like she's just thirsty or wants some comfort. Then she's awake again at 6.30...it comes around all too soon!

Any advice on this would really be appreciated. As you can prob tell this is my 1st LO and my HV is USELESS and my Mum exclusively BF so has no idea about bottlefeeding. Sara is basically a contented little baby but if I had longer between feeds I would be a contented little mother!!!

Thanks in advance
Liz xxx

Replies

• Options
    I have been wondering the same thing but I have decided just to let Lizzie take the lead because the more i tried to get her to take more the less she was taking. I have also decided not to look at the box because Lizzie is 11lb 2oz (or was aweek ago) and it says she should have 6x 6oz bottles so 36oz in 24 hours and she has nowhere near that. she has had 16oz so far today and will probably have another 2x 4oz so only 24 oz! I make up 5oz bottles but its not normal for her to take more than 4 oz or just obver 4oz in a feed. My mum said to perseve with the 5oz bottles and she will eventual;;y start taking more so thats what Im trying.
    Lizzie is 6 weeks by the way x
  • Options
    dont take any notice of the guide on the box, for us jacob is having more than he should according to the box

babies will only take what the want, the rest if forced will come back up! at 4 weeks her tummy is still quite small so will take time, as she starts to drain the bottles offer slightly more.

if you think she is thirsty try her with a few oz of cooled boiled water, this may also extend her feed times, i wouldnt do it more than a couple of times a day though and not to replace a feed. jacob usually has a few oz of water a day x

at 6 weeks we can go anything from 2 1/2 to 5 hours depending how he feels and what he needs, bear in mind your LO will be going through regular growth spurts so at times will nesd to feed more frequently,

hth
  • Options
    Thanks ladies - ironically now since I posted that last night she has taken a full bottle all day and slept really well last night!!!

xxx
  • Options
    Please don't take too much notice of the box. My LO was born at 28 weeks, and when she eventually came home I used to get in such a panic about how she should be taking a certain amount according to her weight and I would worry about how I could feed her more if she hadn't had the recommended amount of milk in 24 hours. Looking back now, I see how stupid it was! She is human, and like us, is sometimes more hungry than others. She regularly gained weight and is now 13 months and happy and healthy. What did she weigh at birth?
  • Options
    Sara was 7lbs 6ozs so not a bad weight. I have upped her teat size and this seems to have really helped matters, she's still feeding every 3hrs in the day but is taking slightly more milk each time - like you say though she has hungry days and less hungry days.

Thanks for the advice, will try to chill out and let baby lead the way!

Liz xx
  • Options
    i also found since this post lizzie is taking more of her bottles and has slept for 3 nights from 8:30 (having little dream feed not even opening her eyes at 10pm) and waking between 6-6:30, so im happy, seems persevering with routine worked for us x
  • Options
    Iwas going to ignore the box! My lo was still only taking 24oz at 6 months whilst following the 75th centile! She was also feeding every 3 hours in the day and 1 bottle at night! I couldn't physically get anymore down her, even though she should have taken 35oz! So long as she is content, has wet and dirty nappies and is gaining weight then she is doing great! You could try the cooled boiled water before you try a bottle if you think she is thirsty. this may delay her feed. Eg: water after 3 hours, and then try feed after 4! This doesn't always work though as I found out with my lo!