Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is she getting enough?

Hi,

BF exclusively for 6 weeks then been mixed feeding till yesterday now over 8 weeks but she doesnt drink anywhere as much as the formula guide gives for her age, should I be concerned?

She was feeding all round he clock whilst bf and became all consuming (one of the reasons I stopped) and I was hoping she would be more regular now but she is still feeding every 2-3hrs with less sometimes when she's only had small feed. She only takes around 100ml around 5-6 times. (sometimes 60ml sometimes 130ml)

I dont think its teat size as she sometimes takes loads quickly and if I try to get her to have more by keep giving it to her after she stopped she starts bringing it back up.

Shes gaining weight ok 50th percentile but everyone elses baby of her age is drinking a lot lot more. Is this ok or should I worry.

Inka xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Inka

As long as she is gaining weight steadily, following her centile, not dropping down and seems satisfied I wouldn't worry about it.

One of the other babies I know was similar with his milk and he has grown nicely, weaned very well and is a happy and healthy 10 month old.

Roslyn was the complete opposite in that she was way above what the formula boxes say and I went through the doubt that I was massively overfeeding her image))

Sandra x
  • Options
    not all babies of the same age are the same size, or have same appetites. as long as she's gaining weight nicely and is happy in herself then i wldn't worry xx
  • Options
    Thanks for replies, will keep an eye on her weight gain and try not to worry about it x

Inka xxx
  • Options
    Do not worry! My lo was only taking 25oz a day at 6 months and is following the 75th centile! So long as she gains weight and is healthy and has plenty of wet nappies it doesn't matter as the carton is only a guideline!
  • Options
    Hi,
    Just wanted to add - I breastfed exclusively for 6 months and have just given up as lo started feeding every hour and it was stressing me out. I've also found that he's not drinking as much (today he's hardly had anything) but he seems happy enough. My mother in law used to be a health visitor and advised that as long as he's going to the toilet ok, seems happy and is gaining weight alright then there's nothing to worry about. It still seems bizarre to m and I'm still going to worry a little that he's not eating enough but I'm sure she's right! x