Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Amount of feed for a big baby

Hiya

My little boy is 9 days old and is a big bay, he weighed 9lbs 14 when he was born and when he was weighed 4 days ago he was 9lbs 5.

I tried breastfeeding for the first 3 days but he was suckling properly so had to express and the midwives had to cup feed him with formula, after getting so stressed out I changed to formula after 3 days and feel so much better for it.

Im using Aptamil formula and when we first came home on day 4 he was taking 3oz every 3-4 hours during the day and 2-3 hourly through the night , the midwife said this was fine and it was normal to wake more during the night.
The last day or so he has becoming more unsettled especially at night and sometimes wanting to feed after only an hour and a half. Ive just increased his feeds to 4oz and although its not been long he has been taken it all with no problems and seems to be going 3-4 hours inbetween feeds and seems more settled.
I just wanted to check that this was ok as am worried that 4 oz is too much too early but as he is a big baby hes bigger thann the guidelines for feeds on the box. Im going to check with t he midwife tomorrow as dont want to be overfeeding him but thought if this bigger feeds settles him for longer then surely its better than having smaller feeds and him getting hungry over a short amount of time and becoming stressed out and upset.
Its been worrying me alot and feel that when I left hospital they didnt really explain about feeding as I had planned to breastfeed so all the info they gave me was for breastfeeding and changed to formula on the morning I left hospital.
Thanks for any replies x

Replies

• Options
    Thanks for your reply, yeah I will carry on with the 4oz as it seems to be much better for him, its just hard to know what I should and shouldnt be doing ! x
  • Options
    Hi

Jack was 9lb 10ozs when he was born & only took 30ml the first few feeds & by the time we left hospital after 3 days he was on 100mls every feed (think is about 4oz) after a wk or two he went up to 5, then 6 & is now on 7oz & hes only 8wks old. We are at the max what he can take (what the aptamil box says) & he is feeding every 4hrs & is putting on weight nicely. He is now 14lb 2.5ozs. Hes isnt looking for any more but is finishing his bottles so we are considering going up to stage 2 (hungry baby) aptamil to see if that helps but since hes not looking for more milk more often we will stay on stage 1 for the time being.

Dont worry, we tend to put feed up if he is finishing a few bottles in a row & if he doesnt finish his bottle then thats ok, he will take what he needs & eventually finish it when hes wanting it image

But obviously speak to your midwife as every baby is different & it will put your mind at rest image

Stacey & Jack
    xx
  • Options
    Thanks, he has been having his 4oz bottles since yesterday and sometimes finishing the lot, sometimes having 3 and a half oz and is going 4 hours inbetween so think this is about right for him at the minute as he seems much more settled than he did on the smaller amount so will carry on giving him 4oz then speak to my midwife tomorrow and health visitor on wednesday about when I should increase it. Its good to hear from other people who have similar size babys even though I know they can still be very different!
  • Options
    they will only take what they need, and if they have too much they will throw it back up! You cannot overfeed baby! Sounds like you are doing a fab job image