Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How much formula should a 2 week old be having (Also in Baby

Hi ladies,

Had to switch to FF from BF earlier this week due to various problems- (am now on antibiotics so that made the decision for me.) Have been giving DS SMA Gold- he seems to be wanting a feed every 3 hours and can easily gulp away 4oz. He seems to have adjusted well to the change except from the night feeds- seems to fight with the bottle, cries for ages & be very windy. I have also noticed that his poos are becoming more solid & he struggles to push it out sometimes- but not sure if this is coincidence?

Just wondering how much formula is advised for a 2 week old- dont want to be overfeeding him. I have been checking nappies etc before giving him a feed. Also what is advised re. giving LO boiled water?

xxxxxxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Hun, we FF from a week old & LO was taking a few oz's. At 2 wks I'm sire she was on about 2.5 - 3 oz's. But each baby is different & if he's drinking then I shouldn't worry to much. HV will tell u, as a guide to feed 2.5 oz's for every pound the baby weighs in a 24 hr period. So a 10lb baby will need roughly 25 oz's in 24 hours!! As for solid poo's, our little lady was on SMA & was just the same, she then became uncomfortable after every feed etc & constipated . We switched to Cow & Gate and have never looked back. A very happy & content little girl. Go with what you LO wants Hun, if he's having more than his tummy can take, he'll bring it back up!

HTH

Cg xxx
  • Options
    Thanks for that hun. I am seeing the health visitor for the first time tomorrow so will have a chat with her. Am thinking that we will be best off changing the formula- so both of us can get some sleep!!

xxx
  • Options
    Hi, just wanted to say my LO was on sma to start, although he liked it as seems creamy - he got really constipated so I switched to Aptamil and we got soft poo everyday, although I've switched him ysterday to Cow and Gate as I think the aptamil was makinng him windy both ends and he seemed to go off the feed. He's 6 weeks, I only manage to get about 2-3 oz in him a go, sometime 4oz, but he takes about 20-25oz in 24 hrs, he's 10lb so this is ok. So far he does seem more content on the C+G, just waiting for a poop!!! saw HV yesterday and she said this is ok, every baby is different.