Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Moving to bottle feeding......

Hi All

Well, Ava is now 4 months and I am thinking of moving her from breastfeeding to bottle feeding, Have I done BF for long enough?!
Can anyone offer any advice on how I make the change (she accepts a bottle already so no worries there) - Do I drop one BF a week or something? And woudl she need water too when on formula? x x

Replies

• Options
    Oh hun - you have done so well! I exclusinvely fed Ella for 4 weeks then mixed fed until 11 weeks when my supply ran out! I believe the 1st 6 weeks are the most important so you have done brilliantly!

From what I remember reading ( I didn't have enough supply so my transfer wasn't the same), you drop one feed for a few days, and when your body is used to it you drop another until you have completely changed over. I believe this stops bad engorgement and leaking etc!

My HV has said you do need to give water when on formula, but only if it is hot or they are trying to feed more frequently than every 3 hours! Otherwise formula is enough! The water needs to be boiled and then cooled image You probably already know that though!
  • Options
    hi - just to say i am in a similar boat, consider ff after bf for nearly 15 weeks so would be interested in seeing replies and how you get on! xx
  • Options
    me too! Maisie is almost 11 wks and i have been trying to move to mixed feeding for a while.....some days she will take a bottle, others she wont. have switched from sma to aptimil this week on advice from others - will will take some, but only a couple of oz.
    spoke to hv today and her advice was to stick with 1-2 feeds a day or just totally swap to bottle and no breast - maybe she is getting confused?
    I used to give ebm and she would take that no problem, but i find expressing such hard work!
    so i too and after the tips!
    xx