Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Ive got a biter-help please

Hi ladies, my lovely girl is nearly 8 months and her first 2 teeth have just come through.

She has for a while liked to practice biteing, and a stern no was enough to stop her. Now the little monkey is full on biteing, hasnt drawn blood or done damage, but no does not seem to be working, she just bites harder.

HELP

Love Koala x

Replies

• Options
    Oh you poor thing. My little boy is now 5 months and also likes to practice biting down and it can get quite sore sometimes. Luckily he has no teeth as yet! Everytime i'm stern and say no he just looks at me and smiles! The other day i did let out an 'OUCH' quite loudly and it obviously frightened him and he looked at me, the bottom lip went and then he burst into tears. I then felt really guilty and gave him a huge cuddle and said sorry! He promtly stopped crying and he then went back to feeding again. Not sure that was the right way to go about it, lol. Any advice from other ladies would be greatly appreciated. x
  • Options
    Don't just say no. Take them off the breast, if they carry on then stop the feed altogether then hopefully they will associate biting with their feed stopping which usually they don't want to happenimage

xxx
  • Options
    I agree with the ladies above, a loud yelp of pain followed by stopping the feed soon gets the message across. Babies probably not going to be happy about it but they will just have to get used to it. From experience (3 babies whose first two teeth all came in at 3-4 months) the most dangerous time is when just falling asleep.... be ready to post in your little finger to release those clamped jaws! I have also found that my LO's were more likely to bite when their gums were sore so when I try/tried to put on a bit of bongela just as they seemed to be hinting at wanting a feed.

• Options
    I had this issue, it drove me mad when my daughter was around the same age.

The best advice I was given was to pull her in close, so that she autimatically released. I tried everything, and we weere close to giving up as feeding was unbearable at times, however, pull her in, say no, and I also used to take her off ad put her on the floor and not offer again for 10 mins wheb she was just doing it for attention (i.e. looking straight at me first!)

We also found that around this time we had started to watch telly whilst feeding, or I would be having a conversation over her with hubby, so for a week or so we removed distractions, and made sure that feed time was just me looking at her, and hubby talking to us from the other side of the room, but we didn't converse over her, if that makes sense!

Hope this helps, just keep going and if one way doesn't work, give it 48 hours and then try another!

Bets XxX
  • Options
    p.s. we are still feeding at 16 months with a mouth full of teeth and no biting incidents for yonks!