Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

BFing for first time

HI Im 30wks with my third, and woudl like to BF this time.

I had tried with no2 but had given him bottles in hosp then once home thoguht id give BF a try. It was once my proper milk came in, boobs were all hard etc and i thnk this added to how hard i found it. i didnt really have help and gave up after only a couple tries.

My daughter has ear problems and my son has had glasses since age 1 and i do kind of wory that it is because i didnt BF, so that is the reason id like to try this time.

I have a coupe probs/questions though. I have been doing some reading and as far as i can tell, as first it is not real milk and just very little comes out..it worries me that baby be surving onthe tiniest bit. and how do you even know if they are getting anything?

Also im pretty sure i have quite flat nipples..they do stick out a little but not so much as i think would be needed. But i think this might be ok, as i have also read it is more around the nipple the baby gets tan just the nipple?

oh so many questions, im sorry but i really am clueless!x

Replies

• Options
    Hello,

Only got a minute so I'm sure others will give more indepth answers:

At first its just colostrum which does seem very little but is really all they need! I asked the midwife about dehydration as they don't get much fluid but they really will survive! Its only for the 1st 4-5 days then the milk comes in. It is hardwhen you can't see what they are taking but as long as you are happy with their latch and feed them often they will get enough.

You're right that its not really the nipple the baby gets, the mouth goes right round the whole pink area around the nipple so I'm sure flat nipples won't make any difference.

It is scary starting out and easy to worry about everything-has your midwife offered you a BF workshop? That might help.

good luck!
  • Options
    Hey,

Don't worry about the amount,for the first few days babies don't need that much anyway - if you express colostrum (as I had to because my son was in SCBU for the first week of his life)it looks like hardly anything but it is very thick and is like liquid gold to babies! So long as your little one is having wet and dirty nappies you will know they are getting enough.

Not sure about the nipple thing but I have heard that some people who have very flat nipples use a breast pump to suck the nipple out a bit before you feed the baby. Sounds a bit funny but I imagine it does work!

I would say just make sure that the midwives in hospital and in the community when you get home know that you are very keen to breastfeed and they should offer you some good support. You sound determined to do it which is half the battle!

Good luck with everything

x x x
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about the nipple thing. Once your baby is latch on, they will be pulling your nipple and some of the areola into their mouths and it shouldn't make a difference.
  • Options
    A baby's tummy is the size of their own fist when closed tightly when it is born so its teeny. They only need really small amounts. Everything is in that first milk and as long as they have wet nappies and they're content your baby will be fine. My milk took 6 days to come in properly and I was worried but my baby was content so I knew it was okay.

The breast pump is a good idea to help with the nipples, or give them a gentle rub before you try latching on as that should stimulate them. Best way is use your baby's top lip. It will help your nipples and also force your baby to open their mouth wide to take as much in as possible
  • Options
    my nipples are quite flat, but DS has never had a problem latching. The MW who came out first day told me to get breast shells to wear for a little while before feeds, but shops near us didn't have them and we managed fine without. Just make sure you know what local breastfeeding support is available in advance, so you know who to call if you need help with latching once you're home