Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Making up bottles in advance

I'm not sure if things have changed in 3 years and I'm really confused. When I had my little boy in 2007, I used to boil a kettle and sterilise his bottles. 1/2 later, I would put the required amount of water in each bottle, put on lids etc and then put in the fridge. When I needed them I would take 1 out put in formula powder, shake, warm and feed. I would never use a bottle that had been in there for longer than 24 hours.

However, it seems that now the advice is to make it up just before the feed. Is this right...I am so confused!

Thanks girls. X

Replies

• Options
    I breast fed my little girl and my friend bottle fed, 3 years ago. She used to do the same as you but now with her new baby she has been told to make it up fresh. Mind you I cant see how keeping water can do any harm, I always thought there was only the potential to do any harm once the milk was in the bottle too?
  • Options
    I only use ready to feed, but will shortly be moving onto powder and my HV has told me the rules have changed again to relax a little - you can put cooled boiled water into a sterile bottle and leave it at room temp, then when you add the powdered milk (obv only when the feed is required) you don't have to heat it if your baby will take room temp...

I am so so stressed about the rules and getting things wrong most of the time (My twins are 7.5 months!), but when I'm able to take a step back and think about it sensibly the rules change all the time and usually how you did it before/your Mum did 20 years before etc etc did no harm what so ever and they change the rules just to make sure Mums have a really hard time! image
  • Options
    the advice now is to make feeds when you need them as the water is meant to be a certain temperatue to kill off any germs in the formula, but im sure whoever makes these silly rules has never tried counting at 3am!

as with my first (nearly 4 now) i will be making all the bottles for the day in one go then putting them in the fridge ready to heat up (in the microwave) when i need one..
  • Options
    Hiya,

My litte one is 7 months old and has been on bottles since 4.5 months.

In the morning i fill the sterile bottles with cooled boiled water and leave them at room temeperature and then add the powder as and when I need to in the day. She will drink it at room temperature too so don't need to bother heating.

My health visitor told me this way of doing it was absolutley fine.

Hope this helps,

Emma x
  • Options
    In the morning i fill the sterile bottles with cooled boiled water and leave them at room temeperature and then add the powder as and when I need to in the day. She will drink it at room temperature too so don't need to bother heating.

This is how i did it nearly 4 years ago and exactly how im intending doing it again. For the first few weeks i will probably use ready made through the night just because i find it easier.