Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

matitis :(

Does anyone know how long the antibiotics for mastitis take to work?

I've had mastitis before but managed to remove the blockages by massaging/expressing lots etc. This bout took me by surprize, just woke up feeling terrible. 3/4 of one boob is badly affected and way too sore to touch, feeding my LO is torture, but I know she'll do a grand job of helping mummy get better. I'm so sore I can't lift her and I'm scared about coping when hubby goes back to work on monday.

Replies

• Options
    I don't know about the antibiotics I'm afraid but just wanted to send a hug and best wishes - it sounds awful. If it's not any better by Sunday evening could you get your husband to take a day off to look after you both?

• Options
    Oh love I feel for you soooo much, I had it 5 or 6 times in the early days. It should be less sore within 24 hours, and if its not get back to the docs for something better (they have a bad habit of prescribing too small a dose!) You can also take paracetamol and ibuprofen to ease the pain, and as you know feed, feed, feed, and expressing under a warm shower should ease the pain too. My worst one left me unable to lift lo, but only for a few hours, so like I said if its not clearing by now get back to the docs. Hope you feel better soon xx
  • Options
    I feel such a failure, my boob is so sore when i'm trying to feed that my let down isn't working, my LO is really upset and getting very frustrated (which makes it hurt more) and her nappies are hardly wet at all. I can't top her up from my freezer full of EBM as she won't take a bottle or cup. :cry:
  • Options
    You mist definitely are not a failure! It's not your fault this has happened and you ate still trying to feed. If her nappies are slightly wet then she is getting something but I understand that it's really worrying. If you really don't feel that she is getting enough could you do one feed as a cup feed as people do when avoiding a bottle when trying to establishe bf? It's not all that easy but may make you feel better in the respect of what she's getting but also continue to bf as it helps. Def get to docs first thing and get someone to support you in looking after your little one tom of your husband can't stay home. Big hugs, x
  • Options
    oh hon, you are not a failure at all. Ditto to the above but did you know that mastitis makes the milk taste saltier? Which is probably why your lo won't feed well.However I am concerned that it is still so bad when you are already on antibiotics, please phone the docs, or feeding advisers (who are sometimes better placed to advise on what medication you should have)Your let down will be inhibited because you are in so much pain and are so stressed, try relaxing, not easy I know. Also keep expressing in the shower, get some cabbage leaves, express whenever the pain gets too much. Hugs xx
  • Options
    Thankyou ladies, my fever and vomiting is gone, and the redness is now only covering about a quarter of the boob. It is alot less painful so now with painkillers I can massage it now.

Now just wondering, although the antibiotics get rid of the infection, i take it the blockages will still be there unless me or my little one can get them out???
  • Options
    The antibiotics will take away the infection but you need to get rid of the blockage or it will happen again. Try a breast pump as well as feeding. Feed in all different positions, not just your normal. Try lying down next to her, lying over the top of her so your breast hangs into her mouth (sounds weird and not comfortable or easy to do, but drains the milk from the top of your breast) rugby ball, sitting her up on your lap with her back straight. Reason being, she may not be able to unblock if it's solid and different positions drain different ducts. Try all positions to drain all parts of your breasts. Put warm flannels on your breasts before feeds and massaging. Keep cabbage leaves (savoy is best) or gel pads when not feeding in your bra xx
  • Options
    The other thing I did was comb my breasts with a wide toothed comb (sounds odd but if you do it firmly it can help unblock the duct. I'm no doctor but I kept getting blockages and I used to get this terrible pain when feeding, right down the duct. If i stopped him feeding, the next feed would still be sore but if I fed through it, it would get better, so I'm assuming that the pain was the blockage moving. The other thing you can do it take soya lecithin, as it makes the milk less sticky so will help it slide down the ducts more easily. Also I'v just thought but watch out for thrush now that you have been on antibiotics, try to limit sugar and yeasty foods and let your nipples air in daylight and hopefully it won;t develop x